Thread: Hey Bullet guys

Hey Bullet guys

I was reading the post on how fast have you gone in a bass boat and see many of ya'll with 80+ speeds.
    I'm new to bass boats and was wondering what makes Bullet boats so damn fast.
    So far my Stratos hasn't even hit 60, but someday I'll get her up to 62
    Anyway, whats the deal?
    Cheers,
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

2. Member
    Light weight hull + fast hull design + light weight high horsepower 2 stroke = fast. That's about all I know. Below is from their website.

The Story Behind a
    BULLET BOAT
    Hand laid & Core Construction Methods

Bullet Construction:

The more you know about the construction of a Bullet Boat, the greater insight you will have into the unique advantages that result from building a very strong although lighter weight boat. A few of these are: awesome fuel economy on the water or towing, fantastic performance and handling and durability for many, many years.

The method used in the construction of Bullet Boats is termed "hand lay-up," more specifically, hand lay-up utilizing "sandwich core" construction. By applying material by hand, large continuous layers of glass fabrics can be utilized for a distinct advantage in construction. Precise calculations can then determine which glass material at what exact weight should be placed in specific areas of the boat.

The same principle holds true for resin applications. Precise application of resins -- just enough to saturate the strands -- eliminates weakness and brittleness in composites due to excessive resin. Too much resin adds unnecessary weight to the boat and at the same time reduces its strength.
    In addition to the preliminary glass laminates, a core material is added. Different thicknesses of material are used, according to what testing and engineering have indicated is necessary for that area's particular stress and load. The core is then covered with additional layers of glass fabrics. This type of composite provides enormous structural strength and rigidity, yet keeps overall weight very reasonable.

Along with the glass fabrics used in composites, Kevlar fabrics are also used. The Kevlar reduces weight while significantly increasing strength. High-performance marine resins that are vinyl ester-based are the primary resins utilized at Bullet, because they too greatly enhance the strength of the boat's construction.

An extended mold time, normally 7-8 days on average, allows a thorough curing for all boat parts. The curing process ensures a flawless cosmetic finish and results in a precise hull surface which enhances handling and overall performance.

A very high number of man hours per boat result not only in quality construction, but also in unsurpassed fit and finish of the final product.
    Nothing is left out of a Bullet Boat in order to reduce weight. Quite the opposite, state-of-the-art materials, utilizing the painstaking production process of 100% hand lay-ups, are added to the Bullet Boat to result in a superior product. This is such an improved and different method of manufacturing, other builders making mass produced “chopped” boats can’t even begin to compare.

At Bullet, we understand what our customers are looking for in a tournament-worthy performance boat: handling, strength, durability, fuel efficiency, and a great fishing lay-out.
    A Bullet Boat delivers it all.

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225

3. Member
    Lots of horsepower, light hull, very efficient hull that has good lift. Most of the 20XX boats have the sportsmaster lower unit set with the centerline of the prop shaft 1.25-1.5 inches above the pad.
    The 20's with a 250XS set up as above is a 90+ boat. Hang a 300XS and you are into the trips.

4. Member
    I would say mostly hull design + they are lighter.
    The pad design is similar between Bullet/stroker/Allison vs the majority of bass boats.
    Bullet 21xrd Mercury 300xs

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach185 View Post
    I was reading the post on how fast have you gone in a bass boat and see many of ya'll with 80+ speeds.
    I'm new to bass boats and was wondering what makes Bullet boats so damn fast.
    So far my Stratos hasn't even hit 60, but someday I'll get her up to 62
    Anyway, whats the deal?
    Cheers,
    If you have never rode in or driven a Bullet I suggest you try to find a Bullet owner near you that you can take a ride with. The only thing I can say is they are on another level to most other bass boat manufacturers. Bullets are like owning and diving an exotic sports car. Its just not the same as a cookie cutter.
    Last edited by BULLET FAN; 12-14-2020 at 10:32 PM.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

6. Member
    I also forgot to add they are just not a performance boat that goes fast. They are great fishing boats with tons of storage and huge front and rear fishing platforms. Bullet Boats mission statement says it all.. Total performance boats
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

With a Bullet’s hull design, hand laid glass with Kevlar reinforcements, it makes our boats about 600-700 pounds lighter than a competitor. No chopper guns to lay a bunch of unneeded glass to create weight and not make the strength of hand laid. Plus their high performance designs.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

8. Member
    Nah, It's just the driver's!! just like said above, thrust to weight ratio

9. Member
    Lighter hull , and I think better drivers at speed not to mention Bullet guys just keep working on finding more speed with props, weight distribution ect.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

Had no idea, thanks for the insight. Probably the reasoning behind a 2013 21ss bullet for sale here locally for $41,500.
    Cheers

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle08 View Post
    I would say mostly hull design + they are lighter.
    The pad design is similar between Bullet/stroker/Allison vs the majority of bass boats.
    Yes similar hull design on the above 3 boats.
    Also aerodynamic hull and cap design. At the speeds we reach, air also plays an important part.

These boats are not for everyone.....but they are BAD A$$ !!!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

13. Member
    your're right Ted, not for everyone, but I enjoyed owning them for about 20 years now, Bullet is the Best!!!

14. Member
    Bullet owners bleed Bullet's, I love mine, I had my first bullet back In the mid 90's, 20' with a mariner mag on it. Sportmaster case and a 27p omc chopper worked for a bullet. this thing was fast for me, 90-92mph light. 88 -89 with tournament load. sold it because of tough times. had several boats after that, was not happy with any of them. (2 different stratos, triton, and bass cat). Finally I got back to Bullet. 21XRD and love it, no looking back. There will always be a bullet under me when I cross the lake for now on as long as I can continue to fish. Bullet boats are not for the faint of heart. If ya got an adrenaline requirement then you would like to be Bullet owner.
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

15. Member
    01 21XDC. 20 years!! I’m attached to it....still looks brand new!
    2001- 21XDC-300r
    Pete.

16. Member
    Not sure where Mercer co. Ky is. If you want to ride up to the ohio river in the spring I'll take you for a ride. 21SST 300R maybe ill have a prop figured out by then.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

Todd, thanks for the offer. If I get up your way I'll let you know. Its about a 3 hour drive.

18. Member
    Another Todd here, but if you come to Arkansas, you can get a ride in my 2016 21RDC with a 300XS

19. Member
    Somebody on Herrington should have a bullet for you to catch a ride in. If not maybe you can find somebody on Cumberland since they're are plenty of them there too.