Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Put a trail cam in the rear window of the cab, you'll be alerted when it goes off and then you can call the law while your racing back to the launch..

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    A thief can open that faster than you can get the key out of your pocket.
    Maybe but my truck alarm would be going off also. New gm’s monitor the trailer . So many trailers in our lots if they see a lock they would probably move on to the next
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    It is sad you have to worry about something like this, but it happens all to frequently down here. From digging around the best trailer coupler pin lock is the Paclock TL88a, they actually send their locks to lock pick experts and update them based on their feedback, unfortunately it won't fit my coupler. My coupler has the pin hole on the bottom, not on the top, the top lever is flush. Really, just deterring enough to make them go to the next trailer is fine, I just don't want to be stranded without a trailer at the dock!
    Your coupler sounds like mine, I use a pin on one side and a short (regular)Master lock on the other side. Some time the Master lock has to be wiggled a little to slide it back through the hole but it works for me
    Rocket

4. Member
    Well, I think I am going with a Fort Knox UFP coupler lock, the paclock UCS88a, paclock hitch lock and paclock puck lock for the fort knox coupler. They can all be keyed the same plus they can all be rekeyed by the user either with a replacement keyway or a locksmith can rekey them. Not cheap, but not the most expensive either. I think it is good enough, if they get through all the locks then they are going to get through anything I would throw at them and that is why I have my boat insured for new replacement value!

5. Member
    Yall are going about this the wrong way! As long as the trailer looks like A POS nobody will even look at it! Works for me. My buddie lost the key to his lock. 2 sledge hammers and 1 hit that problem was solved, he couldn't believe how fast it broke. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

6. Member
    Back trailer to curb. If they want it that bad then take it. I have never put a lock on one. I have it fully insured but would be a PITA with boat in the water after a night tourney for sure
    2019 Ram 5.7 Hemi Limited
    Skeeter ZX225
    2 Lowrance 12” Carbons
    1 Lowrance 9” Live
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Yamaha 225/ Hydro Tec/ 25-T1 SHO prop/ 83mph
    2-8’ Power Poles
    12” Black Atlas Jack

7. Member
    Buy a portable air pump and just leave it with a flat.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

8. Member
    What's worse than coming to the ramp and finding your trailer gone is the truck is gone too. I do use a master lock on my trailer where the safety pin goes. My receiver is locked with a lock keyed to my truck ignition.
    Wes

9. Member
    My 2019 GMC Sierra monitors the trailer and if my truck is armed (which I have it set to 1 minute after drivers door closes) if someone was to unplug the trailer electrical from the truck the alarm will sound.. I started the heck out of myself a few weeks ago unhooking after alarm had turned on in driveway.

10. Member
    I park next to a nicer rig.

11. Moderator
    I have a pad lock on mine. Good so far.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    You bring this up, and I am starting my policy tomorrow, I have the option for agreed value and replacement cost, they are virtually the same price, maybe $50 a year difference. I thought agreed value would be more desirable knowing what $$$ amount the check is going to be, but who knows how much a boat is going to be worth a year from now... inflation could kick in!

Well, I got my B&W hitch tow and stow today... a $225 hitch does not come with a hitch pin. I was planning on ordering an AMPlock hitch pin and a keyed alike coupler lock but their coupler lock does not fit the style of coupler on my trailer. Proven Industries lock does so I might just get their hitch pin lock and coupler lock. I am going to see what I can fit on the coupler latch tomorrow. I am either going with a paclock coupler lock or pad lock depending on clearance, I think the coupler lock is more secure but I might only be able to fit padlocks, if I can do padlocks I can fit two to make it a bigger PITA to deal with. I ordered a BOLT key alike hitch pin from 4W parts to pick up in the morning before I head to the dealer, it seems like it is the least bad of all the bad locks you can pick up at a local store. I don't envision me leaving the tow and stow stowed very often...
    Agreed value or Stated Amount? Stated Amount means they will pay you exactly the dollar amount you insured for it. Agreed value means they will wave any coinsurance penalty for being underinsured. Replacement cost means they will pay you the value of your boat without depreciation for wear and tear and hours. ACV means they will pay you the value of your boat - depreciation.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    Agreed value or Stated Amount? Stated Amount means they will pay you exactly the dollar amount you insured for it. Agreed value means they will wave any coinsurance penalty for being underinsured. Replacement cost means they will pay you the value of your boat without depreciation for wear and tear and hours. ACV means they will pay you the value of your boat - depreciation.
    Policy states they will replace with a new boat of same make and model with same accessories or as similar model as possible if the model I have is no longer available. This also includes new electronics, trolling motor, shallow water anchors, etc. It also has a cash payout option but I'd rather the new boat. Of course, this is if it is totaled. I hope to never have to use the insurance, but I am glad it is there.

14. Member
    I don't have an answer but agree with the posts above, a pad lock thru the tongue is pretty useless. I used to keep the key to mine in my door pocket. Didn't want so many keys in my pocket and the boat would never be out without my truck so I thought I was good. Unfortunately I got into the habit of setting that key on the rear bumper in the driveway as I was loading up. Of course I took off for the lake with the key on the bumper and it was gone.

It's Memorial Day and I get home at night and can't unhook the boat. Couldn't find the blade to my cut off tool and everything was closed. I knew I couldn't pull a boat thru horrible rush hour traffic all the way to my office and back. Knocked on two doors in my neighborhood and a neighbor gave me a little thin cutting wheel that fit on my Dremel. My big heavy duty Ft Knox tongue lock succumbed to the Dremel in about 30-45 seconds. A battery powered Dremel woulda worked just as well.

I fish Old Hickory Lake which has a blue million ramps within an 8 mile radius all are free save one. I broke down and paid the $40 for a year to use that one and they keep a guard there all day. It's also well lit. There's just not a whole lot you can do to stop a crappy thief other than park strategically, a pay ramp if available, insure up and hope for the best.

Now I worry more about parking lots if my wife asks me to stop by the store on the way home or if we stop and eat, etc. I have an Avalanche (I know! But I love 'em and this is my 4th one) Their bed is really secure compared to most trucks and I take everything not bolted down and stow it in the bed and when I get home put it all back on the boat and put it back in garage. PITA but whatcha gonna do?

I've never had anyone try to steal the boat or trailer but after a fishing trip I decided to stop at a McDonalds years ago and this was before they had two drive thrus. Decided last minute I didn't want to pull the boat thru the tight drive thru and I parked and ran in real quick, ordered it to go and came back out. Wasn't in there long at all. Console and front graphs were gone and my tolling motor was busted up pretty good where someone tried to get it off quick.

Stupid on my end but never dreamed someone would/could do all that not knowing how long I'd be just inside McDonalds. My Dad always said, "Can't teach everyone but you sure can learn 'em." I got learned I guess.

I worry more about the clown that hits your truck or trailer and then leaves without a note !!! I've had damage to my tail lights and even busted my fiberglass fender !!! There's a thousand dollar repair !!! I'd rather have them just steal the it, than damage it !!! LOL
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    I worry more about the clown that hits your truck or trailer and then leaves without a note !!! I've had damage to my tail lights and even busted my fiberglass fender !!! There's a thousand dollar repair !!! I'd rather have them just steal the it, than damage it !!! LOL
    Thats for sure... I do my best to park in places where it's least susceptible for some %@F&&% jerk to hit my rig. I've been known to go back and straighten my rig up to get it in the center of the lines..

17. Member
    I have to beat my pin in and out with a hammer and screw driver. One side is easy but the other side needs to be beat in and beat out.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

18. Banned
    Tournament we fished my buddies dad got his tires stolen. Talk about ****ed up

That is why you should have good insurance. If they want it, there is no lock they can’t defeat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12