Second Prop for a Caracal

I always like a second/spare prop for all my boats. I normally have a summer and a winter prop with the off season prop being my spare. My Caracal has a 24P Fury4. So far it is has been great. I love the hole shot and performance but this is the cold season. WOT RPM on this prop is 5900. I have a few hundred RPMs left to gain. As the temps rise next spring, the Fury4 is going to drop some more RPMs.

Do I get a 23 Fury3 for my summer prop? Will that be too much of a drop?

I have a like new 24P Trophy Plus in the garage right now. Has anyone run a Trophy on a Caracal with the new 4stroke Mercury?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

2. Member
    Following.

No expert here! And I have never tried the trophy plus,, but I have run the fury 4/24 for a while, and tried a bravo briefly. But I can recommend the fury 23.
    I run a fury 23 on mine, 4 batts, poles, rear tanks, small tackle store, etc. hole shot is quick, wot 5950, 70mph(summer), I have seen 72 occasionally. Boat is quick and solid up to 70. Probably more there if I played with jack plate, but I usually set it on 4 or 5 and rarely change it except for loading on trailer.
    not sure I helped ya much
    gene
    22 BassCat Lynx
    22Mercury proXS
    Hummingbird/garmin
    ALX rods/Shimano /Lews
    Maxwell Flying inc

Thanks Gene! It does help. I will probably just throw the Trophy on there and give it whirl. The Trophy was a great prop on my Sabre but I never tried one on my Cougar or PII.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Thanks Gene! It does help. I will probably just throw the Trophy on there and give it whirl. The Trophy was a great prop on my Sabre but I never tried one on my Cougar or PII.
    I gave it a whirl today and the 24P Trophy ran just fine. I put it on a few weeks ago, then it got cold and actually forgot that I swapped it out! I went fishing today and ran like I normally do and halfway through the day realized that I had it on.

Holeshot was good, with maybe slightly less bow rise. Top speed was 73 and change with no chine walk until just over 70. RPM was 5920. I plan to leave it on to see how it does as it warms up here in GA. Today I had 3/4 fuel, all my fishing gear and livewells full of water. I had an exhaust ring on the prop and all PVS holes plugged solid.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 02-26-2021 at 08:25 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

6. Member
    Sounds good 06

My 24 Fury 3 blade runs good on my Caracal with a SHO.

7. Member
    I have a 2019 caracal Merc 4s I’ve got a 24 and 25 fury but I had a 24 small hub trophy and I let Mark work on it and repitch to 23.5 .. It’s been last year since I’ve run it but if I remember it ran 72 around 6100 I have about 35 hours on motor

8. Member
    I wonder how the Trophy will run vs the Fury 4? I have a Fury 4 worked by Ronnie G. It runs perfect. I have a 24 Fury 3 that is nearly brand new.
    I ran a Trophy Plus 25 on my Sabre. Really ran and handled well.

Might sell the Fury for a 26 Trophy Plus as a back up. Stick with the 4 blade props.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    I wonder how the Trophy will run vs the Fury 4? I have a Fury 4 worked by Ronnie G. It runs perfect. I have a 24 Fury 3 that is nearly brand new.
    I ran a Trophy Plus 25 on my Sabre. Really ran and handled well.

Might sell the Fury for a 26 Trophy Plus as a back up. Stick with the 4 blade props.

Don
    My other prop is a 24P Fury 4 and comparing the two, they are VERY similar. Top end is the same with the RPM within 100 of each other. The Trophy has a little less bow rise on the hole shot and has a slightly higher RPM at the break over. The duration for the hole shot seems about the same but I did not time it. Loading the boat was exactly the same too. All this information is with just me, 3/4 fuel and all my gear. I did not mess with the JP height at all. It is still set where the dealer set it when I picked it up from the dealer.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

10. Member
    Has anyone tried a 23P Fury 4?

Quote Originally Posted by ssurles View Post
    Has anyone tried a 23P Fury 4?
    I have not. I looked into getting one but I think they are new to the market. Rothwell Marine had them in stock and I almost ordered one but am going to hold off. It would be nice to hear from someone or the factory to see how they run!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

Update:

I ran the 24P Trophy in a tournament yesterday. Weather was 72 degrees, water temp was 58-60 with 5mph winds most of the day. I had full fuel (2 rear 26gal tanks), full livewells, a co angler and all his gear.

The hole shot was a little slower than I would have liked but about like my Cougar when it was loaded down. I think it would have just needed a little more venting with the PVS plugs and it would have been better. Once on plane it ran pretty good as well. It was not lifting the nose up like the Fury4 but it would still get me up to 71. All in all, I still like the Trophy on the Caracal. I will update as the heat and humidity go up here in GA.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal