Banned

Heavier bows and lighter transoms question/discussion

Older boats weren’t made for the the weight we are putting up front (Dual graphs and spotlock TM’s), how does one combat the heavy nose while we are making the rear lighter by adding lithiums? Do I just have more cup added to the prop, drop the motor or all the above? The fulcrum point is being flipped around on my champion and I need to figure out how to fix this situation.

2. Member
    What prop have you got?

3. Banned
    24 tempest, I’ve run multiple others; but that was before I added all the crap up front. I need to have the prop fixed anyways, I got it into a gravel bar the other day and chewed the edges pretty bad. Just trying to figure out if I need to have him add a little cup or a lot of cup.

4. Banned
    My vote: add lots of cup. When your get it back, start very low on the jackplate and raise by 1/4" increments. Basically, you need to start from scratch.

Had a prop worked one time and the guy said to keep raising the plate.....I told him Champs like 3.5" PTP...he said keep raising it. He was right, I can't run it high enough-I ran out of jackplate and speed kept increasing with every move. Currently at 2" PTP and could go higher if I had more movement on the jackplate.

5. Member
    If prop work doesn't fix it, you will need to add more motor setback for leverage to lift the bow.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    If prop work doesn't fix it, you will need to add more motor setback for leverage to lift the bow.

Grrr, I hope the prop will be the ticket.

7. Pat Goff
    More setback would be way far down on the list.
    Cup by itself is not going to give better bow lift, your rake angle is responsible for that.
    Changing the center of gravity to the front will generally require more grunt from the motor to keep the bow up. Get everything installed, and run it, then listen to what the boat is telling you.

Is it running flat? Throwing a big high tail? Stiff steering at speed? Is water coming out the sides or straight back? If yes, you're too high, drop it 1/4" at a time until you lose speed, then back a click.

Mercury motor? Might be time for trim extenders or transom wedge. Mercs don't have the same trim angle as Yamaha or Johnrudes.

Start there, see what happens.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

You want an odd pitched bravo 1xs. The odd pitches have extra tip cup, the flare is cut off the barrel which will minimize transom lift and 15.25 diameter carries a load better than anything else by far.

9. Member
    Did you shift all your heavy tackle out of the front and put it in the back? Adding cup to a 24 tempest will just slow it down and it might just need 2 degree wedges like Pat said.

10. Member
    If it's a champion as indicated in the original post, extra wedge might not help so much. It doesn't have a normal pad, and the extra trim can just drive the rear down without much bow lift. Try it and see.

11. Banned
    I haven’t done anything yet, prop man never emailed me back. So I guess I’ll email another one after Christmas. Before all the added weight up front, I ran a bravo Xs 25 and it was too much prop. Then went to a Bravo xs 24 and it seemed to make the ride tougher since it had zero bow lift. Then ran a fury4 24 and it was decent, until I filled up with gas, then it was bad. The tempest seems to be the best prop for this boat. I don’t think wedges would hurt anything, it has zero bow lift, they might give some more leverage.

Thanks for the cup info, I thought added cup was for bow lifting.

I put a 24 trophy on and it handles the best, but lacks in speed.

12. Pat Goff
    198/Merc has always benefited from trim extenders/transom wedge. Always.
    You can get a set from bass pro to test, if you like the results swap the extenders out for transom wedges for permanent fix.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

13. Member
    Did you put Lithium batteries in your boat? I have heard alot of guys losing lift due to not enought weight in the back when changing to lithiums, especially on a wide bow like a 198.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT196 View Post
    Did you put Lithium batteries in your boat? I have heard alot of guys losing lift due to not enought weight in the back when changing to lithiums, especially on a wide bow like a 198.

Not yet, I have to replace everything when I do it. Waiting for more spare $$$. I need to get my prop fixed before I spend money on the batteries. I’d have to buy a new Battery Charger too.

15. Member
    Talk to Mark Croxton he can make the tempest give you more bow lift.

Are you using a jack plate? if not I would instal a Bobs hydro jackplate.it will give you so many options.you will immediately get more setback,angle of attack and you can lower your motor for hole shot and running.