Thread: Spare Tire

Spare Tire

Just put a new set of tires on my trailer and was looking at the spare to make sure it was in good shape. Like many spares it is laying flat across the front of the trailer frame, bolted to the frame. Thought I'd pull it off to make sure all was good.
    To my surprise the bolt hex size was 13/16". The nut size was 7/8". My lug nuts are 3/4". I already carry a lug wrench and Cresent so I'll change out to all 3/4"
    Glad I checked because if I was to have a blow out and needed to get the spare off I would have had an issue.
    Last edited by Coach185; 12-13-2020 at 08:09 AM.
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

I have a Marine Master trailer that is the same way, I just carry a deep socket and wrench with me.

I use a lock lug nut same as wheels. Same key and same socket.

4. Member
    Stuff like this is why I drive a rolling toolbox everyday

Lol. I literally did the three different lug nut sizes on purpose, that is my anti theft plan as unless they are prepared for a weird as heck scenario they will have to laugh it off on there way out haha
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    Stuff like this is why I drive a rolling toolbox everyday
    True.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    I had the same issue and found out the hard way, with a flat on the side of the road. Luckily, I wasn't too far from home and my wife was able to bring me what I needed. Since then, I carry the right size wrench in my jack box.

Pulled over to help a guy that had a flat. He had a good 4 way. Unfortunately there was no way to get it on the spare where it was mounted in nose of trailer.. I had a 1/2" breaker bar we used to remove the nut only to find out there wasn't enough clearance to get it out. We had to undo the bow of boat while 3 of us picked up on hull the other managed to get the spare out.

9. Member
    I tow more than one trailer of my own and occasionally pull for friends too. I bought myself a folding 4-way to throw under my seat so that I am never stuck with a lug wrench that doesn't fit. No more expensive than these are, it is a worthy fix and I also have it handy if I ever stop to help somebody along the road with tire probs who only has their factory lug wrench.

10. Member
    I have two different size nuts on my spare, but it is mounted on an old galvanized rim and it looks like crap, badly worn on the edges. I have nice aluminum rims on the trailer. If someone steals it, they really need a lousy tire.

EG, my point in the original post was about getting the spare off when I needed it. If I were to have a blow out, I wouldn't have had the tools to remove the spare.
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

12. Member
    I just know carry my spare in the bed of my truck. Two times a tire shop has screwed up my spare tire and its carrier. First time they did not put the 3 nuts back on the when I changed out the spare tire when I switched to Endurance tires. The tire shop apparently stripped one of the nuts and only put the spare back on using two nuts. They never bothered to tell me. A month later, movement from the tire only having two nuts, broke the spare tire carrier. The spare tire was just hanging there while I was going 75 mph down the interstate. Almost a disaster. Got the mount fixed. Dumb me went back to the same tire shop and when they mounted the tire after I got the carrier re-welded, they cross threaded one of the nuts. I had to break the stud to get the spare tire off to change a flat.
    Last edited by Tromanoski; 12-20-2020 at 11:19 AM.

13. Member
    This is why i have a cheap set of impact sockets in the truck, and i just carry my 1/2 drive milwaukee impact in the truck on road trips.