1BO27977 150 optimax. Exhaust tuner?

What are the symptoms of a broken exhaust tuner? I hear rattling when WOT and have a hard time getting on plane.

2. Member
    Rich at low rpm to the point of fouling plugs.
    Noisier than normal when on the plane....but you tend to get used to the noise.
    You can sometimes hear the tuner hit the inside of the leg when you tilt the motor up for transport
    Best check is remove the leg and look up inside with a flashlight to see if the tuner has fallen off.

3. Member
    Your symptoms seem about right for a loose tuner, but could be other things too. But it’s a fairly easy check as stated above.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Member
    some you can just shake mtr back and forth and they rattle clunk
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    All good info above. Removing gearcase and reaching up into the midsection with a long screwdriver is probably the most reliable check at your disposal.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    What would replacement of exhaust tuner cost and what else should I check or have changed while this is getting fixed?

7. Member
    Usually you can reuse the tuner you have, it’s the nuts that come loose, only difficulty is the power head has to come off, that’s where the main expense is.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

8. Member
    I have been trying to find a video of the tuner being replaced. I have found nothing. Also, is there a better fastening system then what was done in 05? Thanks again for the replies.

9. Member
    pull gearcase /powerhead ,disassemble exh housing,you can install loc wire in nut , double nut without nylon lock nuts(homemade locnuts) ,marring threads on studs and nuts ,_vise grip work good
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuck Grass View Post
    I have been trying to find a video of the tuner being replaced. I have found nothing. Also, is there a better fastening system then what was done in 05? Thanks again for the replies.
    +1 to Joe's comments, above.

Later models (and replacement tuners) use flange BOLTS rather than nylock nuts. I have to say that nylock nut thing is perhaps one of the silliest engineering "oops" I've seen in years.

I also like to utilize the GASKET for the tuner which was found in earlier-model EFI and CARB 2.5L models. To date... haven't had one fall off a second time when using "real" hardware and the gasket (combined with red liquid loctite).

NOTE: Don't rely on "videos" for repair of your outboard. I can't tell you the number of times I've had to fix an engine that utilized a "tube" video in an attempt to self-repair. There are more of them with serious errors than there are "good" ones.

Utilize a FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL as your guide for repairs. Best investment you can make in your engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    +100 on RED ^^^^^^