Winter fishing on Philpott

Any body fish there in the winter? I've been on there once last year and caught a couple small fish but it seems like there should be some good winter fishing. I really love to use a float n fly but interested in any techniques that work. Any help would be appreciated.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedingBlue View Post
    Any body fish there in the winter? I've been on there once last year and caught a couple small fish but it seems like there should be some good winter fishing. I really love to use a float n fly but interested in any techniques that work. Any help would be appreciated.
    i went there last year in January with the same float and fly plan in hand and only caught 1 largemouth. It was a calm sunny warm day and I don’t think that helped any. I caught 1 2 lb largemouth on a blade bait. I found bait and what appeared to be some fish around them but I did not get the impression that the lake had a lot of fish in it. Fished every bluff wall I could find with a float and fly and never had a bite

Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn View Post
    i went there last year in January with the same float and fly plan in hand and only caught 1 largemouth. It was a calm sunny warm day and I don’t think that helped any. I caught 1 2 lb largemouth on a blade bait. I found bait and what appeared to be some fish around them but I did not get the impression that the lake had a lot of fish in it. Fished every bluff wall I could find with a float and fly and never had a bite
    I fished it once last year and caught 2 fish on FnF, one 12" smallmouth and a dink spot. I went out there yesterday and it sucked hard. It was a weird day where no wildlife was doing anything. No birds, squirrels, deer, and the bait was generally pegged on the bottom. I think the lake might be turning over, water was 55 degrees. There was a tournament out there I never saw a fish caught. Fished bluff walls and main lake pockets and never had a single bite. I should have went to Belews creek. I went there the day before and caught 6 bass, one catfish, and hooked 2 more on FnF.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedingBlue View Post
    I fished it once last year and caught 2 fish on FnF, one 12" smallmouth and a dink spot. I went out there yesterday and it sucked hard. It was a weird day where no wildlife was doing anything. No birds, squirrels, deer, and the bait was generally pegged on the bottom. I think the lake might be turning over, water was 55 degrees. There was a tournament out there I never saw a fish caught. Fished bluff walls and main lake pockets and never had a single bite. I should have went to Belews creek. I went there the day before and caught 6 bass, one catfish, and hooked 2 more on FnF.
    belews is an excellent fnf lake in the winter. I just wish I could catch some smallmouth on it. I went to lake James last week to try it and never had a bite. But the water temp was 55 degrees and I think it probably needs to be cooler than that.

Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn View Post
    belews is an excellent fnf lake in the winter. I just wish I could catch some smallmouth on it. I went to lake James last week to try it and never had a bite. But the water temp was 55 degrees and I think it probably needs to be cooler than that.
    I tie most of my own FnF jigs. I started drilling a small hole in the heads and super gluing in two strands from a jig weed guard, That has eliminated about 95% of the hangups I was getting from the trees and I can fish much closer to the wood. It has made it much more fun fishing it out there. Hasn't impacted hook-up at all from what I have seen.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

6. Member
    There’s actually a winter open tournament on Sundays, $40 per boat. If you have Facebook search for Philpott lake open tournaments for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Five-alive View Post
    There’s actually a winter open tournament on Sundays, $40 per boat. If you have Facebook search for Philpott lake open tournaments for details.
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew