mikesxpress

F1 bass stocking information for VA

No the Potomac isn't getting any.

https://dwr.virginia.gov/blog/dwrs-f...g_december2020

2. Member
    I find it very interesting that native Virginia bass already have a lot of the Florida bass genes. Maybe from stocking programs years and years ago? Those F1s are have been a success story on the Chickahominy and James Rivers. I have also noticed that the winning weights on Smith Mountain Lake have risen rather quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if they get stocked in the Potomac sometime soon.

3. Member
    The F1 they stocked on the Rapp are getting big as well. Its a challenging fishery but the size is there and growing. The down side is there are a ton of snakeheads my catch rate of snakeheads on the Rapp far and away exceed the Potomac hopefully soon the bow hunter will get after them as well as they did on the Potomac.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

It wouldn’t do any good stocking them in the Potomac. They probably wouldn’t last long. https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/1...is-in-decline/. Sad state of affairs....
    Last edited by yj99t04; 12-18-2020 at 06:08 AM.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. mikesxpress
    Kevin both Virginia and Maryland biologists have stated repeatedly the Potomac doesn't need any more introductions of any fish. The observed biomass/recruitment of largemouth bass is overall satisfactory.

As with most things internet/social media related you must do some recon on where/who the material came from and why it's visible. This is no exception.

The author of the "copy/paste" article cited is the assistant editor of the Washingtonian which is a pay to play magazine that's been around in the elite circle of DC high life for many years. You want a spot in the Washingtonian top 100 restaurants list? You pay for it. Same with anything else published there. It's not a news publication.

The actual source:
    Potomac Conservancy
    https://potomac.org
    This non-profit organization is primarily funded by a philanthropic base of supporters throughout the Potomac region. They have no scientists or biologists on staff. They have no water sampling data. They have no fin fish sampling data.
    Most all the board of directors & staff have a professional
    non-profit background. That means they earn a living raising money thru
    grants/donations/government funding. The more funds they gather up, the more administrative fees (their paycheck) required to manage the process and keep a near zero balance. They don't actually have any allegiance to the non-profit they are working for. They are there for the cash!

Here is the simplified version of there financials for the past year.
    https://potomac.org/annualreport2020

This organization has no in-house scientific evidence to give the Potomac river a "grade". But to the big $ philanthropists and contributors, the lower grade is flag that Potomac Conservancy requires more funds to fight the good fight.

Dissecting social media BS is not for everyone.

That's good news. I saw that story in a bass news email I get. I'm going to start using you as a fact checker.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. mikesxpress
    Social media will be the destruction of society as we know it. 90%+ BS content.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    They can just stick these F1 fish under my dock. I will take good care of them and will protect them like a mama bear.