Clinton Report Thurs....12/10/20

IMG_20201210_114459.jpg

I hit Clinton for awhile today with my old buddy, Gary Montgomery. We caught around 20 Bass and around a dozen bonus White Bass. We caught a few on a Baby Bull Shad glide bait, but the majority of them were caught on the new Megabass 110 Jr. I am REALLY starting to like that little bait.. A LOT! It is the perfect size for matching the small shad that get high in the water column this time of year. Temps were 43.6 at dam (that is as far as we fished on cold side), 53.3 at Marina Flats, 55.7 at Mascoutin, and 60.1 at Dewitt. We didn't catch any big fish today, but it sure was wonderful to be out fish'n in a hoodie on December 10th and I always enjoy having Gary in the boat with me.

2. Member
    Thanks for the report Philly !!

3. Member
    What is the water color on clinton now and in general year round ? I have never been there .Does the cold side freeze in the winter ?

Water color is generally pretty close to the color of Shelbyville.
    The cold side does get ice some years, however the Mascoutin boat ramp is close enough to the warm water that it remains open all Winter and there is always fishable, open water between Mascoutin and Dewitt.

5. Member
    is there any vegetation in the lake ?

Yes...lots of Water Willow in warmer months. DNR introduced Eurasion Milfoil 7-8 years ago and in my opinion, it is the main reason why the lake continues to kick out the big bags even with immense fish'n pressure.

7. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Yes...lots of Water Willow in warmer months. DNR introduced Eurasion Milfoil 7-8 years ago and in my opinion, it is the main reason why the lake continues to kick out the big bags even with immense fish'n pressure.
    I agree Philly. They have been trying to start it growing in Shelbyville but the water level fluctuation has made that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    I agree Philly. They have been trying to start it growing in Shelbyville but the water level fluctuation has made that difficult.
    Exactly. I was talking to one of the DNR Biologist over at Clinton earlier this year. He was saying that it is a much bigger challenge to get the Milfoil too take off at Shelbyville because of the fluctuating water levels. I really hope that they can figure out a way to make it go at Shelby, because it will make a world of difference.

9. Member
    Has any of it grown at shelbyville and lasted more than the season they planted it ? I haven't fished there in a number of years . I thought I heard that they put rockpiles in also . Any truth to that ?

10. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    No vegetation for any extended periods but plenty of rock has been piled on the mid south to south end. I caught a lot of bass from some of it last year. idle around after they drop to winter pool and you'll be amazed .

11. Member
    So you are saying it is pretty shallow. Is it bank oriented or off shore ?

12. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Its been put in to stop bank erosion. The banks where wind and boat wakes have eroded badly is where they piled it. It's not off shore.

Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    Its been put in to stop bank erosion. The banks where wind and boat wakes have eroded badly is where they piled it. It's not off shore.
    There were fish all Summer long around some of that main lake rock that the dumped in near Lone Tree.