Team Lew's Pro SP Speed Spool PSP1XH For skipping

Has anyone tried the new Team Lew's Pro SP speed spool for skipping yet. Is it as good as I'm hoping it to be?

2. Member
    Can you skip with a baitcaster now? I haven't looked at the Lew's reel much, what makes it so special?
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

3. Member
    I bought 2. Haven't spooled em up yet. Waiting for my 20lb Tatsu to come in. That and water is starting to freeze over in NH.
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattVT18 View Post
    Can you skip with a baitcaster now? I haven't looked at the Lew's reel much, what makes it so special?
    Light spool and only holds about 40yds of line.

5. Member
    With my below average ability it didn't help much but slightly better.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

6. Member
    I received my Lew's Pro SP Speed Spool yesterday and I think it does exactly what it was intended to do and maybe more. My very first cast I was able to skip my swimbait rigged bait. That's what I had tied on another rod that was handy. After making similar attemps skipping I was pretty impressed. I also tried making some adjustments off of the skipping settings to a more of free settings I manage a pretty big backlash. I think I was trying too hard. I backed it off a bit and recast and made a decent cast with no backlash and pretty good distance. I think it could be used as a pitching reel due to the limited and small capacity spool and maybe square bill cast as well. The reel overall is a pretty smooth. so not disappointed.

7. Member
    I just got mine the other day, but haven't spooled it yet. In looking at it, I am curious to see if that spool may drop into any of my other Lew's reels. I think the spool really makes the difference. I can't say I see anything else in the reel that's different than the other models otherwise. I've been skipping with a Team Lew's Custom Pro and doing well with it. The new reel interested me due to the spool. If the spool is interchangeable, I'd probably try buying just the spool and dropping it in some of my other reels.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

8. Member
    I had the same thought about the spool as well. I may check and compare the spools.

Perfect for skipping an Alabama Rig under docks!
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leobass View Post
    I had the same thought about the spool as well. I may check and compare the spools.
    Spools are very different. I don't think you can swap with another reel

I can’t believe they dropped the Team pro Magnesium and put that reel in that $280 price point.
    The Team Pro has limited usage vs. the magnesium. They should’ve added that reel into the rest of the line.
    Now the Magnesium’s are going for ridiculous prices used.

12. Member
    I pulled the spool out and compared it to the Pro G and the BB1 Pro. It's much narrower and it also has a smaller outside diameter. You can see on the side plate that the brakes protrude into the reel body much further due to it being much narrower. So, no go on the swapping.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.