1980 CC - should I buy one?

I'm curious of those that have ridden/fished out of a 1980CC or own one - what you like/don't like it, or would do over. (i.e., rough water capability, with trolling motor down how does wind impact ability to track well, fishing stability)

I live 350 miles from the nearest Vexus dealer, and likely 1,000 miles from one that would have a 1980CC in stock.

My 'use case' is this: I fly fish off a bass boat layout today (cheap Tracker 175) - works OK, but of course I have 2 footitis and want a bigger faster boat. Chasing pike, carp and smallies mostly. Getting into skinny water at times. And, haul the boat 150 to 200 miles often.

Debating about a 18 or 19 foot fiberglass boat with a 200hp engine so I can feel like I'm 14 again (sometimes), or going with a 1980CC that seems like great option for the pragmatist in me. If I go with a 1980CC I plan to get 100% sea dek put on it and a 150 Merc Pro XS.

Thanks for any first hand insight to the 1980CC!

2. Member
    This is probably going to be pretty long:

I have a 1980CC with a Merc 150 (not XS). I'm coming from a 2016 Triton 189TRX with 150 Mercury. I had only owned fiberglass boats and this is my first aluminum boat. A big part of my decision was when we had a second child in the summer of 2019, I knew that the bass boat wasn't going to be everything i needed it to be. So, started looking for boats, mainly center consoles and flats boats because i live at the coast and wanted to fish for drum, trout, etc., for inshore, but also wanted to continue to bass fish. My main decision points were having something that would fit in my garage, have room for 4 people comfortable, but still have the fishing platform on the front and rear decks when I have a partner fish. With that in mind, here are my pros and cons. I’ve had my boat almost a year and had it in some pretty rough conditions at the coast.

Pros:
    Fishing decks are large, very comparable to a bass boat in the front and rear. The seat at the console flips up so that the seat is not in the way if someone is fishing on the back.
    Speeds are about 55-57 on an average day. I've had it as fast as 59. I have dual poles and no jackplate and think it's a 60mph boat if you have it dialed in.
    When not fishing, the two seats in the back deck fold up so that you can 'entertain' and just ride around 4 people comfortably, maybe even an additional person if you have a cooler in the front of the console.
    Looks, the boat just looks cool to me and I don't see many boats that look similar.
    It was incredibly easy to wire all of my electronics. I've wired all of my electronics and I'm not a professional by far. I have a console and bow fish finders and mounted/wired them both. There is a power access in the bow so that don’t have to run a power wire all the way to the batteries.
    Doesn’t draft much water, I don’t know the exact draft, but has to be a foot or a little less.
    Easy to trailer and tow.

Cons:
    Coming from a fiberglass boat, the ride isn’t as smooth. A lot of people may disagree, but I don’t think an aluminum boat will ever ride like a glass boat. The ride isn’t bad at all; it’s just not glass.
    The wind probably blows it around a little more, but I can’t say how much more and it hasn’t interrupted my fishing.
    Since its aluminum, it’s a bit louder. Riding or when fishing. More noticeable hull slap when waves or ripples are hitting the side of the boat.
    The compartments rattled, since its aluminum on aluminum, but I just put a thin piece of floor saver pads and that stopped that rattling.
    I don’t have SeaDek, so the boat can be slippery at times. SeaDek will probably be my next upgrade.

Hope this helps, but if you have specific questions, I will help out the best I can.
    Last edited by hardnibbles; 12-11-2020 at 10:34 AM.

3. Member
    Thanks for the the detailed information - I greatly appreciate it!

4. Member
    I'll throw in some input as well. I have a 2020 1980CC with the 150hp Evinrude G2. I upgraded from a Tracker Pro 16.

Pros:
    -Ride: Ride is great (for an aluminum). It will never be as good as a fiberglass (always get a kick out of those arguments) BUT it is the best riding aluminum that I have been in. I've had it out in 2-3 footers, and while I wasn't running WOT, I was comfortable in those conditions.
    -Deck Space: As mentioned above, deck space is great. Definitely the best out of any of the aluminum CC boats that I looked at.
    -Draft: I was told that it would run in 10" by Vexus - while I haven't put that to the test, I have run on plane in water that was 15-16" deep without any trouble.
    -Layout: Hands down my favorite part of the boat. Some people argue that a CC is a waste of space (and I'm sure it can be depending on what you use it for). I personally use mine almost exclusively for bass fishing. I wanted to be able to stand while running the river, and didn't like the forward CC options. To me the CC layout is great for multiple people, lounging, and cruising around.
    -Wind: I am coming from another aluminum, so I knew I would blow around some. I was a little worried that the higher sides would catch more wind, but in my experience that hasn't been an issue.
    -Poly Deck: While it can get a little slick with wet feet, I love the poly floors for fishing muddy rivers. I did not opt for Sea Dek, as I was concerned about the mud staining, and wear and tear from my dog.

Cons:
    -Storage: I'm a little bitter that the storage option wasn't available under the jump seats. It looks like they fixed that in 2021, so it shouldn't be an issue for you. It also doesn't have anywhere near the storage that a dedicated bass boat does, but I knew that going into it (still has more than my old tracker did).
    -Trolling Motor: If you use it for bass fishing, with a foot pedal for the trolling motor, the pedal will impede your access to the front hatch. I wish this area was better laid out, but heck I'm also not using it for the intended purpose so I can't complain too much.
    -Paint: I am not impressed by the bottom paint. I live on a gravel road, and no matter how slow I drive I get chips on the bottom. I'd almost prefer an unpainted bottom.
    -Rear Hatch: This is a terrible design IMO. It opens towards the motor, and will hit your motor housing if the motor is not trimmed all the way down.
    -Cleaning around hatches: While the deck cleans well, the recessed areas around the hatches do not. The only way to clean them is to open the hatches and wash out the recessed areas (thereby getting the inside of your storage compartments wet). Minor annoyance, but worth mentioning.
    -Noise: I noticed a decrease in hull slap, coming from a tracker, but it's still there compared to fiberglass. I also have some rattles when running from the metal hatches hitting the frames - but that should be an easy fix.

Hope that helps. I was on the fence for a while about the CC style boats - and I had a 5 hour drive to the closest dealer. Once I decided I was interested I test drove one - put in an order the same day!

5. Member
    Srr5008, thanks! Quick question, would u say the 1980cc does significantly better than your old tracker with trolling motor down and windy conditions? Or, just better, 'but it's still aluminum'. Thanks!

6. Member
    I'd say in my case it's much better. But my Pro16 was LIGHT. This boat is much heavier, which I'm sure helps. That combined with the upgrade from an older edge TM to the Ultrex (more power) I honestly feel that I improved in that department. Now if I was just floating (not trolling), that may be a different story... but I still feel that overall its a big improvement from my previous set up.

7. Member
    im close to pulling the trigger on a 2180. problem is I want it loaded out and it drives the cost way on up. these seem like best compromise for a bass boat that will run some salt though.

8. Member
    1980cc is now ordered! Thanks for all the help everyone. And, Merry Christmas!

9. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar

10. Member
    Congrats!

11. Member

2180CC

Quote Originally Posted by Gthunter5 View Post
    im close to pulling the trigger on a 2180. problem is I want it loaded out and it drives the cost way on up. these seem like best compromise for a bass boat that will run some salt though.
    I ordered the 2180CC about a month ago. I went ahead and put on all the options I wanted including full Seadek. I sold a pontoon to switch to this type and I regret not getting everything I wanted on it from the factory. Yes, the price goes up, but if you are alredy willing to spend that kind of money on a boat whats another few thousand on a long loan.

12. Member
    haha - ya that's what I told my wife. She wasn't happy. im pretty sure I could have gotten a nice glass bay boat for the money but no poles, 45mph, smaller graphs, no sea deck, and it wouldn't bass fish as well which is 95% of my fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by coresuper View Post
    \ whats another few thousand on a long loan.

13. Member
    @coresuper - there's no U-Haul behind the hearse.

Quote Originally Posted by Charliecoyote View Post
    In my bass club when you die the first car in the procession is the hearse, then the family limo, then a buddy pulling your boat. If the next tournament is soon to follow your boat is anchored in the lake withe the funeral flowers.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charliecoyote View Post
    I"m definately going to steal that line. Perfect.