How about a deer hunting report?

I was just wondering how the hunting went for you guys in the first season? Boy opening day of second could be fun with some snow on the ground and a few flakes Saturday morning as well.

2. Banned
    I put 1 down on Sunday. I was really trying to get my wife on her first deer more than anything. She damn near had a nice 8pt buck as her first deer but it was skylined and we would be shooting up hill and towards the city so we waited for it to take a few steps down hill. Right at that moment a doe came out from behind us a spooked all of them. She did hit 1 on Saturday but it was a quartering away shot and I'm 99% certain she hit low on the shoulder and missed all vitals after we saw it run 300yds and only found a few small drops of blood.

I'm just glad that she was able to experience a successful hunt at the end of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    Congratulations on her first deer!! Over hear in sw Iowa we are going to get some snow Friday day and Friday night I guess 1”-3” as of now and snow Saturday morning. It would be fun to hunt in the snow. Now I’m planning on fishing Saturday morning if the roads aren’t to messy, we will see.

Congrats on the deer

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    Congratulations on her first deer!! Over hear in sw Iowa we are going to get some snow Friday day and Friday night I guess 1”-3” as of now and snow Saturday morning. It would be fun to hunt in the snow. Now I’m planning on fishing Saturday morning if the roads aren’t to messy, we will see.
    Unfortunately it was my deer and not her first deer... she tried to do all of the hard work with the deer though. She really wanted to drag it the 60yds, uphill, to the fence row so I could drive out to it. She got 10ft and asked for help lol.

I might get out pheasant hunting on Saturday. Luckily in the Boone area, we have a lot of bicycle trails that are public hunting that won't have 30 deer hunters on it shooting at me or my dog

6. Member
    I think it’s just cool that you’re out hunting with your wife that’s a great way to spend time together.... My wife loves camping and going for walks but no way would she come with me fishing on the lake Lol!! But that’s not a bad thing she’s just not into fishing but she lets me go fish and never says anything about the Credit card bill with $$$ of tackle warehouse merchandise on the statement. We must be lucky men :-)

I only archery hunt and admittedly have not put in a ton of work this year. However, it has been pretty frustrating how many times I’ve seen deer and couldn’t get the stars to align enough to make a shot. For the past two weeks, I’ve been doing the doe-only hunts in a couple of state parks. Due the the no hunting throughout the rest of the season and the high deer populations, you see a lot of deer at these places but it is still hard to get one in bow range.

I have one more week of state park hunts in January. Really hoping to make it happen then.