Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prostate Surgery

Who has had it and did they cut ya from stem to sterm or did they do with minamal surgery, like scope
    SAL 544
    13.11 lbs
    Lake Fork TX
    2/19/13

2. Member
    "Robotic" surgery. Had it done several years ago - small holes much like a knee scope. Good luck Brada - do your kegel exercise - will help with after surgery issues.

Davinci method. Six small holes. They just glue them shut when done. I left the hospital the next day.

Worse part is the Foley after the surgery for two or three weeks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. TJNYSNP
    I had mine done at Sloan Kettering in NYC. First and foremost you want to run with a doctor that has a top reputation. Robotic is popular but there are cases when the full radical is done. At Sloan they don't just remove you prostate, they also remove carefully all your gland tissue in your groin because that is a hub for any radical cells that might spread further through the body. I have a 3 inch scar about 2 inches below my belly button. Had it done 11 years ago and knock on wood 'clean' since.

Good luck.
    Last edited by mohawkman; 12-11-2020 at 12:22 PM.

This type of stuff worries me. It can cause issues with bladder control and ED. I know its better than dying but still. Best of luck to you.
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.

My Dad just had robotic. I am doomed, being a genetically passed form of cancer, it killed my Grandpa. My Dad, Uncle and cousin have all had it. My 3 brothers and I are prime candidates.

7. Member
    I will be having salvage proctectomy surgery next Wednesday the 16th at Cancer Treatment Center of America in Philadelphia. Was diagnosed with prostrate cancer two years ago. Had 40 radiation treatments and PSA never dropped below 3.7, It has been rising steadily for past 6 months. Had CT scan, Bone scan and PET scan at CTCA to make sure cancer was still contained in prostate. The surgeon who will perform the Robotic Surgery is ranked one of the best. They told me my recovery will be about six weeks. That will be perfect, we have trip to St. Johns river scheduled middle of February. I will post a couple days after surgery to let you know how it goes. Please pray all goes well.

Bassman13

8. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Da Vinci prostatectomy five years ago, I can still fish.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

9. Member
    DaVinci by Dr. Patel in Celebration FL. Definitely do your homework and find a great surgeon like Dr. Patel. I fished an ABA divisional championship 30 days after surgery. Pain is minimal, the damn catheter is the worst part. Two years clean

I had prostate removal surgery in Aug. 2019 at the Cleveland Clinic by their leading surgeon, Dr. Haber. It was done robotically and took about 5 hours! Yikes! So, your family shouldn’t worry if you’re in surgery for a long time. He also removed nearby tissue for analysis. I was lucky. Although I had two kinds of prostate cancer (the kind every guy will get if they live long enough, plus a more moderately growing type), only 15% of my prostate was affected and the lab report said that it was 100% contained in the prostate...no cancer cells in surrounding tissue. The worst part was having the catheter in for a week afterwards. Do your kegel exercises and you won’t have any leakage issues. You’ll feel like your old self in a few weeks. But, full recovery is darn near a year.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Member
    and it takes a while before "things start looking up" again

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAL man View Post
    Who has had it and did they cut ya from stem to sterm or did they do with minamal surgery, like scope
    First question is Why are you having it done?

Prostate Cancer?

Blockage?

Other?

Many reasons to be having work done on the Prostate.

I had mine removed in 2004. My PSA now is almost 0. Mine was done at Emory in Atlanta. There is a very small scar and a nerve sparing technique was used so I had minimal side effects.
    Last edited by fastr19; 12-10-2020 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenr View Post
    DaVinci by Dr. Patel in Celebration FL. Definitely do your homework and find a great surgeon like Dr. Patel. I fished an ABA divisional championship 30 days after surgery. Pain is minimal, the damn catheter is the worst part. Two years clean
    Thats where my Dad went.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    First question is Why are you having it done?

Prostate Cancer?

Blockage?

Other?

Many reasons to be having work done on the Prostate.
    Had Exam and Dr said that I had a nodual on the prostate. took a PSA and it was 4.5 He has scheduled a biopsey in Jan. Just getting my ducks in a row; He said it was a 50-50 chance.it was cancer I am checking into MD Adnerson to se if I can go there
    SAL 544
    13.11 lbs
    Lake Fork TX
    2/19/13

16. Member
    Had Exam and Dr said that I had a nodual on the prostate. took a PSA and it was 4.5 He has scheduled a biopsey in Jan. Just getting my ducks in a row; He said it was a 50-50 chance.it was cancer I am checking into MD Adnerson to se if I can go there
    we will say a prayer for you. good luck

17. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Hope all goes well for you.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

18. Member
    Hope its benign . Best of luck.

Good luck and hope all goes well.

I had mine checked and bladder tests, the bladder tests were horrible. The Pecker camera was done at teaching hospital........ I had students in the room, taking notes!!!!!!!

20. Member
    Ok, now we actually know WHY.

Some Information: The Number its self doesn't mean squat. As you age it will go up naturally. What DOES matter is when it goes from say 2.0 to 4.5 within a short period of time.

The Biopsy will determine IF and WHERE there is any Cancer. To make it simple, take a circle (that's your prostate) and draw a line down the center. Now make 6-squares on each side of the line. That is where the Biopsy will take a sample of tissue from your prostate, 12 samples.

The Results will tell the Urologist if there is Cancer and where it is located.

BY THE WAY That Biopsy will most likely cause you to have Blood, lots of it, in your Semen afterward. No one told me that. Scared the hell out of me. Called the Dr and they told me that was normal and would go away once it was "flushed out". They should tell you to expect that.

There are some very different ways to deal with it, a lot has to do with your age. If you are in the approx 75 year or older bracket they may suggest to do nothing, because there is a "better chance" of you dying from something else before the Cancer would kill you. The Type (aggressiveness) of the Cancer will come into play as well. Some are very slow and you will have lots of time to decide what path to take, and some are more faster and while there is no need to panic you will need to decide quicker which path to take.

Each way of dealing with it has Pros and Cons. And there are a bunch of ways to deal with it.

Some you may end up Leaking for a short amount of time or forever and will need to wear a Bag. Or you may have no issues at all with the same Treatment.

Some may effect your ability to obtain an Erection. May be short term may last for a year or so, may always be that way. Some may not effect you in that way at all.

Some may allow you to "squirt" like normal and some may make it "backflow" into the Pee Bladder (if that happens it will come out when you pee later).

Backflow Issues seem to be tied into the Ability to Pee with a decent Flow. Some procedures cause the Oretha to constrict and the Muscle that holds back your Pee from leaving the Bladder to not open fully and that will cause Pain and Weak Stream while Peeing. There are Drugs you can take to help with this and Flow will be pretty normal, however the relaxing of that Muscle will also make it the "path of least restriction" and is why the semen may "backflow".

I am a Prostate Cancer Survivor. Before I chose a Treatment Plan I looked and Researched as much as I could on the Different Techniques out there before I ever met with a Cancer Dr. My Urologists suggested a certain Dr and that is who I saw first. I had written down every question I could think of and took them with me. My Wife also went with me and had questions as well.

My Dr took the time to sit with us and explain his Treatment in Detail describing what to expect and not expect. He also went over Every Treatment Option and described to me what to expect with them well. In the end he said "that's what they do. This is what I do. If you decide you want me to treat you let me know. I do not expect you to make your decision right now".

Now I will add that my Dr is the Dr that devised the Treatment for Women's Ovarian Cancer that is used all over the world, before he decided to specialize in Men's Treatment for Prostate Cancer. After training in External Radiation Treatment Therapy he opened the Southeast Regional Prostate Cancer Treatment Center in Daytona Beach and that is all he does now.

On the drive home my wife and I discussed it and we both felt Comfortable with him, so that is what I did.

With him he designs each person's treatment specifically for them and how/where their Cancer is. My Biopsy showed that I had Cancer in 6 of the 12 Squares and one of the Squares was 80% Cancer. Mine had NOT spread outside the Prostate and was not attached to the inner body cavity wall, which is huge. Once it gets attached to that it goes into the Bloodstream and then to the Bone Marrow and there is not much that can be done. (NOTE: Some treatment options can expose the Cavity to Cancer Cells during the removal process of the Prostate- One of the main reasons I chose to not have mine removed).

I had 45 External Radiation Treatments (5 days a week for 9 weeks) and also had a type of Chemo injected into my Abdomen in a Gel Form, One for a 1 month dose and 1 as a 3 month slow release dose. What it did stopped the body from producing Testosterones, which the Cancer feeds on.

That Gel caused me to Blow Up like a Bullfrog and I gained lots of weight in my Abs Area. The Treatment sapped my strength to the point where I could work for so long then need to take a break. Sweat like crazy especially at night. Just like a Woman going through Menial Pause and they sweat I did- but more. I would soak through a shirt and soak the sheets every night.

However, after taking the Treatments and then waiting 3 months for the next PSA Test it showed my Number had dropped from 5.7 to about 2.0. Now the first one after this style of Treatment will be higher that what it will end up being. At 6 months it had dropped to 0.1. That Number is used to test for being Cancer Free. If 3 years later you are within 2.0 points you are considered cured (2.1).

January at 2 Years I was at 0.9. If this January 2021 I am below that 2.1 level I am considered Cancer Free.

I have had some Side Effects but nothing that I can't live with. I do have the need for the Muscle Relaxer for the Pee Flow and the Backflow that comes with it. But it's not that big of a deal.

I hope you have Awesome Results with whatever Treatment you choose.
    Last edited by Deadeye1; 12-11-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast