Thread: New boat

New boat

Just put a deposit down on a ranger rt178. Today I received an email offering platinum exterior interior warranty for $900, and also and extended warranty on boat, motor and trailer for a total of 7 years for $1100. Are these warranties in general good or bad ideas? Thanks, first time boat buyer.

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhawknseattle View Post
    Just put a deposit down on a ranger rt178. Today I received an email offering platinum exterior interior warranty for $900, and also and extended warranty on boat, motor and trailer for a total of 7 years for $1100. Are these warranties in general good or bad ideas? Thanks, first time boat buyer.
    Thank you for the question. Offered in an email? That seems a bit odd to me. The secret behind any additional coverage is who the company standing behind it is. Additional engine coverage from the factory when available is always a good idea. Secondary companies have a wide range in how good they are. I would guess you are talking about Platinum Protection Systems. We handle that product here but have a harder time finding dealers that want to do the work. There is a process to follow and does take some time to do it right. Good product from what we have seen.
    As for me, I bought additional drivetrain coverage on my car (factory) plus interior and exterior protection. Dealer was good in the application and has worked well.
    One other thought - if you plan to keep the boat, protection is great. If you plan to spin in a couple years, be sure everything is transferable. Don't make that assumption.
    Let me know if we can help.
    Thank you,
    Ken