Long ML spinning Rod suggestions

I’m thinking about trying a Dobyns 792SF XP (7’9” ML Fast). anyone have experience with this Rod? I’ve got a bunch of Dobyns so staying in the family would be first choice. I’m looking for the most distance possible for throwing spybaits, neds, hair jigs, and small swimbaits.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

I haven't fished the Dobyns you are looking at, but it sounds interesting (like I need more rods). I really like my ALX Zolo McSmalls which is 7'6" in length for the applications you listed, except for the spy bait as I haven't thrown a spy bait on it.

Can't help with the Dobyns info, but a good alternate option to check out would be a Phenix Feather in 7'7" M power. It will fish like other companies' ML, and these rods are absolutely outstanding for their price point and would be perfect for what you're wanting to do. They check in at like $170 but will fish as well as rods costing twice as much.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    I’m thinking about trying a Dobyns 792SF XP (7’9” ML Fast). anyone have experience with this Rod? I’ve got a bunch of Dobyns so staying in the family would be first choice. I’m looking for the most distance possible for throwing spybaits, neds, hair jigs, and small swimbaits.
    If you can wait until Monday, Dec. 21, TW will have those Dobyns rods on sale.
    Alex Darsen - 2013 Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
    It's more serious than that!

5. Member
    I have been pleased with my Conquest 902S which is 7'6".

6. Member
    NRX 901 for hair jigs and Steez AGS MML for the other applications. I purchased a 792 hoping that it would be able to handle those applications and sold it after one outing. The rod is extremely tip heavy and was too powerful. The 901 has a nice parabolic action that aids in casting the hair jigs. I really find the rod a one trick pony, but it’s worth it if you fish hair jigs often. The Steez AGS MML will handle the rest of the applications at an elite level.

7. Member
    I have fished the original unicorn, which was the Dobyns Champion Extreme DX 792 and I regret to this day selling that rod as it was super fun to fish. I haven't fished the XP version, but my guess knowing the Dobyns line up and the XP line up specifically, the XP will be a little more "whippy" than the DX was, and that will provide better casting distance AND a more parabolic action when fighting fish, especially surging smallies at the side of the boat. For the $$ (G Loomis & Steez) alternatives will be a LOT more than the XP will cost you, especially as one of the other posters suggested, this type of rod becomes more of a "one trick" pony.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    DAN....did I finally sink into your brain? This is the rod I have been wanting to add to the arsenal for quite some time...(I am on a BASS spending hiatus)...Had to get some hunting gear in check and now onto Fly gear.

A quote from GDobyns from another site on the Champion 792sf for Dropshot...."Re: Is anyone using the Champion 792 SF for drop shots

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 03:25:19 PM »

We have a lot of anglers using the New Champ 792 for D/S. I personally think the new 732 SF Champ is better for this but I get plenty of guys disagreeing with me and love the 792. The best strength of the 792 SF in my opinion is long casts with light line. Many So Cal anglers throw 4,5, &6 pound test with small hair jigs where long casts are needed. In Nor Cal it's the most popular Float-N-Fly rod going. It will certainly work as D/S rod, I just think 732 SF is better.
    Last edited by BassVoodoo; 12-21-2020 at 09:52 AM.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

9. Member
    some guy from grand rapids- i think his name is kevin or kerry or something like that talked about a lews 7-6 ml spinning rod called "the smallmouth special" made by lews and only 99.99, might want to look at that!!

Quote Originally Posted by karol View Post
    some guy from grand rapids- i think his name is kevin or kerry or something like that talked about a lews 7-6 ml spinning rod called "the smallmouth special" made by lews and only 99.99, might want to look at that!!
    I've had experiences with several of the rods mentioned, personally or through guiding clients that brought them....
    ALX McSmalls 76 L+...4 oz rod, a bit faster action than the XP 792...nice tip...nice mid range power...good choice for your listed techniques. Alex may be able to customize one to 7'9"...Call him and see
    Lews KVD 76 MLXF...Got to try one on a recent walleye trip...I have to say for 99$ this is an amazing rod
    Dobyns XP 792... IMHO is also a great choice for cast distance with the baits mentioned, not sure how much more distance youll get over a 7'6"...
    I would consider two other possibilities...a Dobyns DX 741SF and a Daiwa Tatula Elite 76 Seth Feider Hair jig rod+ AGS. Remember rod length is not the only measure of casting distance...line Guide quality, spacing, dynamic rod flex etc are all variables.
    Northwoods Adventures Guide Service... Michigan's Upper Peninsula

11. Member
    Guide spacing is key. I build rods and am no expert. I will say I have the steez 76mml. The rod is awesome in hand but casting is another story. I don’t feel it cast well at all for a spinning rod
    Nitro z21

Legend Tournament Bass 8'6" Med Lt X-Fast LBS86MLXF $300 (2 in stock at the factory)
    Throw small hair jigs a mile and handle big smallies with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    Guide spacing is key. I build rods and am no expert. I will say I have the steez 76mml. The rod is awesome in hand but casting is another story. I don’t feel it cast well at all for a spinning rod
    well said jasonG...I built rods for some years and now design my own builds...I am a long spin rod devotee and use 3000-4000 reels. The guides need a higher frame to match the (1st) collector guide angle etc...Like PacBay match guides...
    Northwoods Adventures Guide Service... Michigan's Upper Peninsula

I've got a pair of St Croix Avid Inshore, 7'6" ML that I really like for any number of things.