Question Tax on new engine?

I'm re-powering with a 225 SHO and just want to verify what the dealer is saying. Do I have to pay full sales tax on the new engine? And if I do I'm certainly not telling DOR that the value of my boat just doubled so they can increase my property tax.

2. Member
    I’m pretty sure that that information will be available to them when you register the title of the new outboard.

3. Member
    Yes, you have to pay sales tax. You will also get a bill for the property tax on the engine from the county you live in.

4. Member
    Starting in 2021 if you don't pay the property tax you don't get your boat sticker. It used to be they just gave you the sticker and then you paid your tax. Most didn't pay the tax. They will now.

You have to pay sales tax on the new motor. It's not capped like it is when you buy a boat/motor combo.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmac4685 View Post
    You have to pay sales tax on the new motor. It's not capped like it is when you buy a boat/motor combo.

That's the way it was told to me also. My concern is the county raising the value of the boat/motor and increasing my property tax even though I payed full sales tax on the motor. Just curious if anyone else has experience with this?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Alive View Post
    I'm re-powering with a 225 SHO and just want to verify what the dealer is saying. Do I have to pay full sales tax on the new engine? And if I do I'm certainly not telling DOR that the value of my boat just doubled so they can increase my property tax.
    The answer is yes.....You don't get the sales tax limit when you buy just a motor.

My concern is the county raising the value of the boat/motor and increasing my property tax even though I payed full sales tax on the motor. Just curious if anyone else has experience with this?

You will need to take that up with your county tax assessor. If the overall value goes up with the new motor, then your property taxes will also go up. That has nothing to do with sales tax
    Last edited by BWQK; 12-10-2020 at 09:02 AM.

8. Member
    That's the way it was told to me also. My concern is the county raising the value of the boat/motor and increasing my property tax even though I payed full sales tax on the motor. Just curious if anyone else has experience with this?
    It will not effect the value of your boat. In South Carolina they are two completely different things as far as the state is concerned. You'll get a tax bill for the boat and you will get a tax bill for the motor.

9. Member
    You get 2 separate tax bills one for engine one for hull there appraised separately and engine has no effect on boat.what's scary about taxes I learned is when I lived in Richland and then moved to Newberry I had bills to compare and Newberry tried to charge me 100% more tell I showed them what I payed in Richland and they said o we can match that I thought do y'all just pull these numbers out of thin air now I'm worried I'm over paying on all my stuff

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    It will not effect the value of your boat. In South Carolina they are two completely different things as far as the state is concerned. You'll get a tax bill for the boat and you will get a tax bill for the motor.
    Good to know. It comes as on bill and I never looked to see what each is appraised at individually.

11. Member
    Welcome to South Carolina gentlemen, purchased in Jan a 2018 Pro XS 2 stroke, property taxes in Greenville County 500.

12. Member
    When I get mine on my 18 250 pro xs we will see what the difference is I suspect yours will be a little bit more but shouldn't be extreme like mine was as far as I was concerned Newberry was going to rip me off if I didn't call them on it if you don't know people just write the check thinking there honest as can be .

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Bullet21XD View Post
    Welcome to South Carolina gentlemen, purchased in Jan a 2018 Pro XS 2 stroke, property taxes in Greenville County 500.
    Is that sales tax or property tax mine property tax was way less, more than half

14. Member
    ALL property taxes in SC are a rip-off .

15. Member
    S.C. Sales tax was $840. Greenville County Property tax 500. born free and taxed to death is such a true statement.

16. Member
    I can see a couple % higher or lower county to county but 100% higher I must not understand how it works , tax last yr.234

17. Member
    It is amazing in the difference in property taxes depending on which county you live in . Taxes in one of our neighboring counties are 1/2 what they are in Spartanburg County in which I live .