B&B a Fury Prop?

Tempest props have a history of their blades being of inconsistent pitch. I think I once heard Mark Croxton say a Tempest 25 3-blade prop out of the box might have blades of 24, 25 and 26 pitch. Which is why blueprinting is so important for a Tempest. But what about the Fury? Has Mercury resolved the pitch inconsistency on the Fury props? Or is blueprint and balancing still "required" on a Fury prop?

2. Member
    My 23 Fury is in transit back from Mark as I write this. B&B plus added a little cup. Should arrive by Saturday evening

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    My 23 Fury is in transit back from Mark as I write this. B&B plus added a little cup. Should arrive by Saturday evening
    Once you get a chance to run it, please let us know how it compares to the pre-B&B performance. What kink of rig are you running?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    Once you get a chance to run it, please let us know how it compares to the pre-B&B performance. What kink of rig are you running?
    2019 Z520L purchased new from dealer last May (On his lot for 1 1/2 years, deep discounted boat). The lake I fish normally is a small power plant lake, so haven't really had the chance to get it trimmed out to best max speed. But, the numbers I gave him from a month ago or so with 85F air temp and about 80F water temp was approx. 70 @ 6100-6150 RPM with PTP at 3.5" with manual jackplate. Top end is not my priority either, but I do want an overall good running prop, a few extra MPH at top end is not my highest priority.

5. Member
    Most odd number Tempest are pretty good for pitch it's the even numbered ones that usually need work right out of the box. The 26 and 24 are bad.

6. Member
    Nothing against Mark, he does good work. I sent him a 25 Fury 3 it was s little dinged up. I got it back after being B&B and it looked great. Did it run any better, no.
    Don Blume

2018 Ranger Z520C
    2018 Mercury 250 Pro XS 2B525775 2-Stroke

Past Rigs
    2008 Triton Tr186 with Mercury 175 Pro XS
    2000 Ranger R73 with Mercury 125
    1976 Basscat with 150 Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    2019 Z520L purchased new from dealer last May (On his lot for 1 1/2 years, deep discounted boat). The lake I fish normally is a small power plant lake, so haven't really had the chance to get it trimmed out to best max speed. But, the numbers I gave him from a month ago or so with 85F air temp and about 80F water temp was approx. 70 @ 6100-6150 RPM with PTP at 3.5" with manual jackplate. Top end is not my priority either, but I do want an overall good running prop, a few extra MPH at top end is not my highest priority.
    Seems like alot of slip for a gen 2 gear case and a 23p Fury.
    Last edited by BMCD; 12-18-2020 at 10:28 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    For some reason my personal experience with Fury 3 blades is that they do not respond as well to being worked as much as a Tempest or Trophy. I think they are probably better straight out of the box. That being said I am running an unworked Fury 3 blade 25P on my Puma with a 4 stroke Mercury 250 and I am happy with it. It is my River prop cause it has a scratch or two on it but it runs so good I leave it on all the time especially since it is now cooler. My hole shot is good(not as good as my worked 24P 3 blade Fury), my top end is excellent(77.5 mph two guys loaded to the gills)even in the summer time! It will easily run 80 right now in cooler weather by myself. Best of all I get really good gas milage with this prop, as long as I keep my foot out of it. LOL

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Seems like alot of slip for a gen 2 gear case and a 23p Fury.
    Per Merc slip calculator that is 9% slip. Not sure what it should be.

Well previous to the "winged" gen 2 case, 9% would be acceptable. My calcs seem to run around 4-5%. Rangers seem to run right around 70mph with normal loads and 1 person, just your RPMs seem a little high.

Curious if your tach is correct.

On some of my boats the Fury is the right prop, on other's the tempest was better. My current setup gets alot of lift, 2 boats ago, same 21ft Nitro though, the fury would not lift that hull, but the tempest would.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Well previous to the "winged" gen 2 case, 9% would be acceptable. My calcs seem to run around 4-5%. Rangers seem to run right around 70mph with normal loads and 1 person, just your RPMs seem a little high.

Curious if your tach is correct.

On some of my boats the Fury is the right prop, on other's the tempest was better. My current setup gets alot of lift, 2 boats ago, same 21ft Nitro though, the fury would not lift that hull, but the tempest would.
    Hopefully Mark's magic with the prop will help.......... Haven't ran it since I received it. The numbers were from Fayette about a month ago, so it is really hard to get a good trim and capture speed and RPM in that short run. Need to get up to Conroe and run the numbers.

12. Member
    I don't think the Fury's need to be balanced and blueprinted but they do need to be true pitched. I run a C boat not an L but before Mark true pitched mine it was a 70 mph boat at 5900 RPM. After, I got 73.5 at 6100 with I think a little more in it. From what I''ve heard and experienced, the cup with the Fury's, especially the 23's, is fine but the pitch variation from blade to blade leaves some performance on the table.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    I don't think the Fury's need to be balanced and blueprinted but they do need to be true pitched. I run a C boat not an L but before Mark true pitched mine it was a 70 mph boat at 5900 RPM. After, I got 73.5 at 6100 with I think a little more in it. From what I''ve heard and experienced, the cup with the Fury's, especially the 23's, is fine but the pitch variation from blade to blade leaves some performance on the table.
    I would assume that Mark when he B&B the prop he trued the pitch? Mark did mention the L boats needed a little more cup.

14. Member
    From Mark Croxton's web site: "Blueprinting refers to the process used to ensure the accuracy of the propeller rake angle, pitch, progression, pitch variation, and cup. This hand process involves thinning the blades and sharpening the leading edges."