Recessed trolling motor foot tray

Trolling motor recessed foot tray

I’m looking for experienced fisherman’s Recommendations for a recessed trolling motor foot tray for my 1996 champion elite any advice or stories are very welcome, I researching so I buy the best one the first time.

Polyfab Plastics in Springfield Missouri sales a good one.
    Speak with Mark Miller, he'll fix you up.

3. Member
    I added a ComforTroll to my 181 with no issues. Great product.
    2006 Champion 198 DCX Elite / Mercury 225 Pro XS

I did the complete job myself (and I'm no handyman) but after ALOT of google searching and YouTube watchn.... i bought a comfort troll tray and did the job myself.
    Be super sure to measure MANY times before drilling that 1rst hole for the saw blade!!!!
    Took about 2hours to complete the whole job including the wood sealer (triple coated that)
    My boat was a 2000 model 202SC tournament and i still miss her ALOT.

I love the Comfortroll.

6. Member
    I originally installed a comfortroll and loved it. With the purchase of a Lowrance Ghost I had to change to the larger Comfortroll D-Lux which I like even better. I'm a big guy and just liked the idea of a metal pan better than taking a chance standing on a plastic TM pan.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

I installed the Comfort Troll in my 2004 196 Elite without any problems. There wasn’t anything underneath the floor to worry about. Just lots of foam to cut out. Measure twice, cut once. image.jpg

8. Member
    Another vote for comfort troll. Keep in mind your 8 gauge trolling motor power and ground wires running on the port side of your front deck. You also have wiring coming from the starboard side to power your nav light, bow panel, and accessories. I am also local so if you want help shoot me a message.
    Last edited by STLBassBuster; 12-17-2020 at 08:41 AM.

9. Member
    If you ever plan on upgrading your trolling motor to a ultrex, you need a comfortroll deluxe to fit the pedal

Comfort Troll Deluxe for sure.

I put a Comfort Troll D-Lux in my 196...love it.

12. Member
    I put a comfort troll in my 206

well built
    love it

13. Member
    Comfort troll d-Lux in my 206 as well.

What ever tray you decide on... Just do it... there's so many positives, your back will thank you, you'll have access to the bow of the boat that you could never reach and if you decide to go back, save the plug that you cut out and it can be put back similar to patching a hole inn drywall and re-carpeted and you'd never know it had been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Table Rocker Basser View Post
    Trolling motor recessed foot tray

I’m looking for experienced fisherman’s Recommendations for a recessed trolling motor foot tray for my 1996 champion elite any advice or stories are very welcome, I researching so I buy the best one the first time.

15. Member
    Anyone install a tray in a 201 elite?

Quote Originally Posted by kebdc20 View Post
    Anyone install a tray in a 201 elite?
    Yep. Here are a few pics of my 94' 201 Elite that I am doing now. I have about a dozen projects going on at once - all born from finally getting a new TM and some new electronics. I'm using a Comfortrol U4 for my Garmin Force pedal. Hasn't been difficult. Took some time deciding where I wanted it and ended up setting it back a little to leave room for a mount for my MFD. This placement actually gives me a comfortable pedal reach when I'm using my butt seat. I don't have a regular seat, but I did some experimenting to be sure that the pedal would be at the right distance if and when this old man decides he finally has to sit to fish.

I did mine with a jig saw. The cut was easy but I was surprised when the cut section wouldn't pull out. I figured it was being held in place by the flotation foam and that turned out to be right. I had to cut the part to be removed in several sections to get it out. Then I used a drywall saw to cut the flotation foam. There was nothing there to mess up. It was carpet, deck, foam. Looking back, it might have been easier to cut the foam with a regular rip cut hand saw... the dry wall saw is too short to make the cut in one layer.

I finished mine off by sealing the cut foam with polyurethane and the deck with fiberglass resin.

There is a short piece of 2" PVC under the deck that from the factory supported some wiring for my black lights in the gunnels. I long ago moved this wiring but the PVC was still there. I placed my cut so that it was just astern of this pipe. Then I used a Fein multimaster to easily cut the fiberglass lathing that held that pipe in place under the deck and then sanded it with the same tool. Removing it allowed me a flat surface under the deck for a backing plate for my MFD mount.

Another thing I have going for me is that this is the original carpeting. Its still OK but it needs to be replaced. Knowing that, it was one less thing I have to worry about.

1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419