Thread: High fence deer

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    I quit hunting when pappaw died. We hunted cheap OSB stands, no game cams, 5 gallon buckets with squares cut in bottom for feeders and I would give anything to hunt with him again like that .What i see now does nothing for me. Dean is right, we have too many here and they have to kill literally as many as possible or they will starve. Tell you one thing, the BIG deer go nocturnal during deer season and most big deer are ones that never showed on a game cam. I have been on 3 youth hunts with my sons at state parks and it was OK for them to get the experience but these deer were dumb and just came out when the sun came out, but it is managed hunting really. Best part was interaction with GWs and the boys learning who they are and what they are about and why it is important to respect them. Goes for fishing too, just like a LEO, they respect them. I have a friend who build hunting trucks and he get s a chuckle at the dough these guys spend on these things while he and i are just trying to make it, these guys are blowing it to impress each other. My /.02

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olebiker View Post
    They aren't doing any tracking. They are sitting in stands waiting for deer to pass in front of them.
    No offense.. but how do you do it? Are you a spot and stalk guy? Still Hunter? Ever put one to rest in its sleep ?

3. Member
    I dont hunt but look at it from a fishing perspective. Im not gonna pay to fish a private lake/pond thats full of giants with feeders in it but if someone offers for me to fish it for free, you dang right im goin. I wouldnt pay to hunt a high fenced area just to have a shot at a big rack when you can kill a deer on open land thatll eat the same. If i hunted and they offered for me to come hunt the high fenced ranch for free, id prolly do it
    They aint got hands, set the hook

4. Member
    My across the street neighbor has 1400 acres under high fence. I have never hunted it, but have been on it a few times helping him out. I rode around my unfenced 350 acres on my ranger for a little less than two hours today and saw 41 deer. I have not seen 41 deer combined on my neighbor’s high fence land in the dozen or so times I have been on it. He will have target bucks every year they fail to kill.

5. Member
    I'm confused about the connection between the high-fence deer farms and the need to shoot more deer in Texas. What does one have to do with the other?

6. Member
    High fence deer can be tougher then low fence deer to shoot. It’s not as easy as most think it is!

Hopefully those hunting high fenced areas makes sure it's fair chase. Back maybe 15 years ago, one of the biggest names in fishing, came under fire for hunting in a fenced area, when a video was released. It got ugly.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    Hopefully those hunting high fenced areas makes sure it's fair chase. Back maybe 15 years ago, one of the biggest names in fishing, came under fire for hunting in a fenced area, when a video was released. It got ugly.
    I remember that. If it’s the one I’m thinking of, it was a pretty tasteless video.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Olebiker View Post
    They aren't doing any tracking. They are sitting in stands waiting for deer to pass in front of them.

So, do you think all deer are trained to come to feeders? Every deer in Texas is led around on a leash and let go right before a hunt. You guys clearly have zero clue how MOST hunting is done here. Yes, there are some places where it’s a “canned” hunt, most aren’t like that. Big deer don’t get big, just by being stupid. It’s no different than hunters that sit over corn, wheat, alfalfa fields and shoot deer. Feeding deer is feeding deer. What’s really sporting is using dogs, right...or having a bunch of guys “drive” the deer a certain direction. Yeah, that’s sporting!

How about the guys that use modern firearms to launch a hunk of lead/copper at 2700fps 600 yards, sporting there? 50x power scopes, sporting?

I wish every ranch in Texas were high fenced, I could finally quit having those bastards run out in front of my truck.
    Last edited by grout-scout; 12-04-2020 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I'm confused about the connection between the high-fence deer farms and the need to shoot more deer in Texas. What does one have to do with the other?
    two subjects in a thread

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    It’s my understanding that the fenced ranches manage their herds with very focused goals, of course they are managing for economics as well, Some of them as well as free range places, work with Texas Parks and Wildlife in the voluntary MLD ( Managed Land Deer) program. Texas has a very robust management system for the whitetail herd. My comments about feeders and plots were mainly directed to the anti feeding comments in the thread.
    Dean the point is they aren't helping thin The heard!
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

12. Member
    We have a high fence ranch, less than 1,000 acres. We have bucks that I have game cam pictures of but no one has ever seen in person. Hosting hunters helps pay the bills to keep the land in the family.

Point I would really like to make is this; Hunting or fishing, if it's legal we shouldn't be infighting about it. Both hunters and fishermen have enough people stacked against them so we better not be attacking each other.

13. Banned
    If the high fences keep them out of the road, I'm all for it

I think the OP is right about the bragging. To me it's like the private pond 10lber. great job, but since no one else has permission to be on that pond, quit acting like you are special. I have a buddy that goes to a pond and catches 20 3lbers on a banjo minnow but can't catch 2 keepers on the lake. It ain't the same. And there is little competition.
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

We are getting off subject here guys,,, can we get back to the brothels now

It's not just Texas, hunting is big business everywhere you go..outfitters have popped up everywhere. You can hunt exotic animals in places you'd never dream of.. Some of these high fence operations offer hunts year round... If I had the money and the property, I'd love to get into this myself... Big business... And it's something I works thoroughly enjoy..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditch_Pickle View Post
    If the high fences keep them out of the road, I'm all for it
    ^^^ lobbyist for the auto insurance companies ^^^

18. Member
    Hunting is a passion of mine. The question to me is about ethics and morals. I could not do it. Just because the "Law" says it is legal, doesn't mean it is right. It says who the person really is....no fan of mine.

19. Member
    I live in “The Golden Triangle” in Hellinois.Hundreds of trophy deer are taken from this area every year.I drove down to Zapata Texas several years ago to fish Falcon.I pulled into a ramp and there was a herd of deer.....I thought they were rabbits!!! I understand why they have high fence operations,but I certainly wouldn’t brag about killing one.

20. Banned
    I’ve never hunted a high fence area or been on a “canned hunt “ where the hunter has an almost guaranteed kill advantage. There is a huge difference in hunting free roaming animals on thousands of fenced acres versus an animal released in a one acre pen. I think this thread is trying to blur the lines saying both are the same.

that being said, I fish for landlocked bass and they don’t have a chance

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast