Thread: High fence deer

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Imho, the mount should have an asterisk on it! Killing a chicken in a chicken house ain't nothing to brag about.

(606)305-1956

2. Member
    I dont care how people spend thier money

What annoys me are "trophy fees" when hunting with a guide on non fenced hunts.
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeNix View Post
    Imho, the mount should have an asterisk on it! Killing a chicken in a chicken house ain't nothing to brag about.
    Depends on the chicken lol
    Man wr had onr mean ass rooster once lol
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

I hunted from '78-'88, without high fences, cell phones, trail cameras, heated enclosed blinds and stands, automatic feeders, food plots, drones, and ATVs. It was just me, my bow or gun, and nature. It was quite enjoyable back then, but I wouldn't care for it now.

5. Member
    Fenced deer hunting where deer are fed supplements year round can grow some really nice racks. That and spending thousands on breeder bucks make for some really nice deer. There are very few deer that are not know in a fenced area today, I can see where the very largest of ranches may not know every deer but i feel that is minimal. When you get to pens that are 1000-1500 acres that's like shooting cows in a pasture to me. The great thing is people who want to do it can and those who don't won't have to pay those high trophy fees.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

6. Member
    For me it depends. Is the High fenced area 30 acreas or 30,000? I hunt Fort Campbell up in Clarksville, nothing is easy about it, and they have some giant deer for here in Tennessee, and since 9/11 they got a fence around it, over 100,000 acres fenced. Normally depending on the area I get, Im miles, miles and more miles from any fence.

High fence outfitters/guides should be ashamed of themselves. I've hunted all over USA and Canada and it was always free roaming animals that I hunted for.
    Dawnpatrol.
    Goin Fishing be home for Hunting Season !!!!!!!!!

8. Member
    That is like mounting a Bass out of the BPS tub

9. Member
    It's clear most of you have no idea what you are talking about. It takes a lot of time and dedication to perfect the proper way to shake the feed bucket just right to call the deer in.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    It's clear most of you have no idea what you are talking about. It takes a lot of time and dedication to perfect the proper way to shake the feed bucket just right to call the deer in.
    The difference between high fence and free range is when the feeders go off the does come a running because they know they are not in danger, which means during the rut, when all the big dollars are made, the big boys come out to play with the girls faster than if they were in the wild.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

I've got a doctor buddy that pays north of $10K every year to go to a high fenced "outfitter" in Illinois. He sits in a box blind, watches multiple 160"+ deer walk in to a feeder, shoots them with his bow, gets it video'd, then shows everyone on social media.

Yeah, no thanks.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    Don’t stop there. Post a running list of other people’s legal activities you don’t like.

13. Member
    I have a friend whose family has 1500 acres high fenced. We used to have a helicopter round up every year. They’d hire a helicopter to net shoot as many yearlings as possible in 2 days. We follow, hog tie, calm and bring them to ranch house where biologists would take blood and tag ears. Color coded for age and numbered to follow and record year to year. Guarantee killing right ages and track year to year growth. You’d be shocked how many deer they’d go 2-3 years without seeing and some times they’d get a giant and a customer would come to try and kill that 1. Couldn’t do it in a week. It’s not as easy and automatic as some think.

Don't care for it and to be honest it kind of makes me feel a certain way about the ones that do it!
    USMC Vet!

Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    I hunted from '78-'88, without high fences, cell phones, trail cameras, heated enclosed blinds and stands, automatic feeders, food plots, drones, and ATVs. It was just me, my bow or gun, and nature. It was quite enjoyable back then, but I wouldn't care for it now.
    Did you bow have wheels?

It's their money so however they wish to spend it; however, it's like feeding your dog well, shooting him in the backyard and then bragging about the fat dog you shot. It's not hunting, just paid killing.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

17. Member
    there is a big high fence operation close to us dont understand the guys sitting in a blind waiting for a feeder to go off to shoot a deer not much difference except the high fence deer is going to be bigger folks around here whine about it but if someone was paying the 15 k for them to shoot a 250 deer they would be the first in line.

Texas is a little different with a 5.5 million deer herd...we have around 800k killed a year and the herd still keeps increasing in size. We HAVE to kill those deer to try to keep the herd from disease and starvation. No way in hell those kind of numbers are getting done without feeders and plots. It’s hunting or selective harvest...whatever you want to call it.

The high fence places are just as much about keeping inferior genetics out as to keeping herds in. Like it not hunting in Texas is big business. You might not like how it’s done down here..but odds are your state doesn’t have to manage a 5.5 million deer herd.
    Last edited by dean c; 12-04-2020 at 05:32 PM.

19. Banned
    Lol, you’re wasting your time Dean.

Everyone stay away from Texas, it’s bad here. Feeders, blinds and high fences every where, the devils land I tell ya’!

I started out with a Bear Archery Whitetail hunter. My hunting partner shot a recurve. I had a Jennings when I hung it up, peep sight, sight pins, and a 3 finger pull tab.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Did you bow have wheels?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast