Question New Cranking Battery location

99 Champion 187 Elite. I am installing a Group 31 battery. It will have to be turned 90 degrees from factory. Sideways or parallel to the transom, in order for it to fit. Is that just wood underneath where the battery is? Is it safe to put screws in the bottom of that compartment? Thanks I can add pic if necessary.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

2. Member
    I used to have an 04 187. Are you referring to the smaller cabinets behind the seats ? If I remember correctly I had some batteries mounted in those cabinets. Can't remember if both cabinets were used for batteries and charger or just one cabinet. Anyway one of those cabinets developed a few cracks and it concerned me. My boat repair/dealer drilled about 6 or 8 holes through the floor of that cabinet and filled the cavity underneath with foam through the holes. Next they glued in a custom fit piece of material kinda like a white plastic cutting board. Once finished that floor of that cabinet was some kind of solid. You could stand in it and jump up and down and it wouldn't flex any at all. Not sure if that answers anything for ya but thought my experience might provide some insight.
    GETFISHED !!!

It's the actual battery compartment. I just need to turn the new bigger battery sideways to make it fit.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

4. Member
    I have screwed mine lots of times. I have a group 31 and two power pole pumps on the starboard side and 3 group 24 agm on the port. I will post pics when I get home. My new batteries are coming in today so hopefully I can remember. I think all that is under there is flotation. I used to have pics on here but photobucket took them away.
    '98 187 Elite, 175 EFI (Serial 0G750796)

5. Member
    '98 187 Elite, 175 EFI (Serial 0G750796)