Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    Personally I think MLF is to confusing to follow. Half the field fishing each day, multiple events rolled under one trail, Cups, Tournaments, World Championship, Heavy Hitter, RedCreast.

When the TV show comes on you never know what you are watching.

I really liked to old TV show, but IMO they tried to combine both the TV show and a major trail and it doesn't work.

Do I watch - yes, when its a Live event on a lake I'm interested in.

I still like the Anglers, but think the constant change is hurting them and the BASS bashing in the beginning divided the angling community.

Now that we are a few years in and we get to know the NEW BASS talent I think BASS is pulling ahead.
    This!
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

2. Member
    I heard through someone that is fairly close to one of the anglers mentioned, and from what they said, there have been some payout issues with regard to not getting it. It may not be settling too well to the ones that are affected by it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat29 View Post
    I heard through someone that is fairly close to one of the anglers mentioned, and from what they said, there have been some payout issues with regard to not getting it. It may not be settling too well to the ones that are affected by it.
    It’s been mentioned before that the winners don’t get paid until it airs on tv, because that’s what pays for the purse. It may even be later than that, like when they get paid by the advertisers. Can you imagine? Win a tournament, celebrate with a ref, you can’t tell anyone, you have to keep the trophy under the bed and you may or may not get paid in 6 months. Oh, and now we are back to entry fees as well; even for the reddest. Sound like fun?

4. Member
    Any wrestling fans here?

This is WWE/WCW allllll over again.

WCW had the blank check to write at first, got all the big names from WWE... WWE was supposed to fail and fall after everyone left.... WCW got boring and fell on its face once the big money wasn't seeing the return anymore.

Anyone looking at this objectively can tell BPT/MLF is failing and once some of the big money backing falls out, it will be curtains.

Did powroznik win a mLf tournament and do well in others? I bet it’s other reasons besides not liking the format.

6. Banned
    Add me to the list of folks that gets confused by the tv coverage. But I still watch when I can. I'm surprised Tharp hasn't moved back, given his fishing style. But he once told me that he wants to beat the best, KVD, in order to be considered one of the best. Hard to argue with that logic.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    It’s been mentioned before that the winners don’t get paid until it airs on tv, because that’s what pays for the purse. It may even be later than that, like when they get paid by the advertisers. Can you imagine? Win a tournament, celebrate with a ref, you can’t tell anyone, you have to keep the trophy under the bed and you may or may not get paid in 6 months. Oh, and now we are back to entry fees as well; even for the reddest. Sound like fun?
    Yeah makes perfect sense. A big lapse in time before earnings payout could lead to cash flow issues with some of the competitors. The fishing industry is not very forgiving and for some of them it could become make or break.

Jacob has won 2 BPT events, North Carolina in 2019 and Okeechobee in 2020 so hes done well in the format for sure. I think him and wheeler are the only 2 guys with 2 BPT wins. I also do not believe this is an angler run trail like it was said to be. For the few guys that are close to these anglers they will hear most of the truth but to the 99.9% of the public its all hear say. Boyd always sounds like a politician and I honestly quit listening to anything he says about MLF after last year. I listen to every BTL episode but when boyd was on a few weeks ago I didn't click on that episode because its all the same old BS.
    Last edited by haus9393; 12-04-2020 at 08:11 AM.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

9. Member
    I know some sales folks that don't get commission paid until customer pays the bill. That sucks.

10. Member
    There are a lot of good answers here, and some others....

Have you ever quit a job, ever left a girl?

Sometimes you do for good reasons,

- Fit
    - Quality of life
    - Opportunity

Sometimes you do for reasons you think are good at the time but the grass turns out to not be as green as it looked.

That applies to why people left BASS and why people are leaving BPT.

Some on here just have a hate on for whatever reason. For me things like 5 vs. all are real and fit some anglers better than others. Things like exposure are real, but still evolving (right now in favour of BASS) payout dollars, entry fees or not etc. etc. are hard to determine and likely always changing. BASS took a very hard line with their anglers for years. They softened after BPT was created and frankly the anglers that stayed with BASS should thank the BPT guys for making BASS sweeten the pot for those staying.

Why? Lots of reasons both ways and there always will be.

11. Member
    Probably cause they read on here how upset some was on here that they left BASS.

12. Member
    Just a thought, but with all the hammers leaving both BASS and FLW for MLF is the competition there too tough and they are viewing a move back to bass could be more financially successful.

I know these guys are the best of the best but BASS lost a lot of big timers.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayouXpress View Post
    Just a thought, but with all the hammers leaving both BASS and FLW for MLF is the competition there too tough and they are viewing a move back to bass could be more financially successful.

There is some truth to this as well, add it to the list.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    I know some sales folks that don't get commission paid until customer pays the bill. That sucks.
    Well,,its only a "sale" after its paid for, before that its on loan.......

I think Hackney wants a classic win, and wants to use the 25 flippin sticks that have been in the rod box for a couple of years. No doubt 5 best fits his style much better. I wish 10-15 were moving back. It would be interesting to see how they do against the new BASS guys.

15. Member
    The only one that I really wonder about is Powroznic. He’s a five fish guy but has won over 200k on BPT in the past couple years. Is that his seed money to keep fishing the Opens until he can requalify? Does he have a really good sponsor backing him?

16. Member
    They are traveling salesmen, bottom line is $$$ potential, just look at how many of them change sponsors and then their new product, tournament trail, etc., is the best ever. So like Swindle and Palaniuk, they will come back, eat their crow and proclaim BASS to the be the best ever, Again.

I think that the decision not to live stream several events, especially championship events, didn’t sit too well with many of the fisherman. This is when their personal sponsors get the most exposure to the hardcore fishermen who buy tackle. I made this comments on one pros Facebook page and he actually responded and agreed, saying that this didn’t sit well with many of them.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by bayouXpress View Post

I thought the majority came from BASS?
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

19. Member
    I just think the MLF format is not for every body as stated above.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    Personally I think MLF is to confusing to follow. Half the field fishing each day, multiple events rolled under one trail, Cups, Tournaments, World Championship, Heavy Hitter, RedCreast.

When the TV show comes on you never know what you are watching.

I really liked to old TV show, but IMO they tried to combine both the TV show and a major trail and it doesn't work.

Do I watch - yes, when its a Live event on a lake I'm interested in.

I still like the Anglers, but think the constant change is hurting them and the BASS bashing in the beginning divided the angling community.

Now that we are a few years in and we get to know the NEW BASS talent I think BASS is pulling ahead.
    +1

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast