Thread: New Melones

New Melones

I have been fishing New Melones for about 3 years now. I am starting to step into a-rigs and larger swim baits with limited success. What is the best way/time of year to chase the big bass I always hear about there? Is it better to run up the river or stay on the main lake? Most trips I can find bass in the 3-4 pound range, but I haven’t been able to find much bigger.

Early spring, before it gets warm, was always when I had the best success there with big swimbaits. Never caught many big ones in there with an A-Rig. Probably b/c I was always chasing the schoolie spots when throwing it. If you throw big glides and keep moving around the lake you'll eventually pin point where some big ones are hiding. When I say big glides I'm talking about Deps 250 sized baits and up.

3. Member
    If you're finding 3 and 4 pounders most trips you're probably doing better than most people right now. Or better than me at least.

4. Member
    I haven't fished it for a few years now either but the main lake points can be on fire or not in the winter. I think you just have to go put the time in and when things line up they line up and you have the best day ever.