Thread: used car stocks

Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar

used car stocks

CVNA, VRM and SFT

I remember when CVNA came public I thought no way. It now has a market cap of almost 40 billion. I still think no way. But then I came across a video about SFT. It's a used car selling app. They're small, less than a billion market cap. And again, I thought no way would I invest my money into a used car company. But now I'm wondering about the future laws that are being put into place in terms of ICE vehicles all around the world. ICE vehicles are being phased out wether you agree with it or not, car companies are not going to be allowed to make or sell new ICE vehicles. Also, many car companies are willingly devoting more manufacture space to EVs. There is going to be less supply of ICE vehicles. Could the used car market become a really hot market in the next 5 years or so? CVAN went from 10 to 200 in 3 years. Maybe SFT could get some of that. SFT could also go bankrupt. I think they are all losing money companies. High risk high reward.

2. Member
    I could see a hot market for ICEs for a few years after most manufacturers convert. The one question I wonder about are gas stations. How long before they convert to charging stations or just close up due to less customers. How long will gas be readily available without having to drive a long way to find a station. It is crazy when you think about the number of gas stations out there. This is going to be an interesting transition. I remember when they phased out leaded gas. I was available for a few years still and then it just disappeared.

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    So in my area most of the small gas stations have gone away and have been replaced by Wawa and Royal Farms or just closed up. There's a few hanging on but I don't know how they stay business now. Everyone goes to Wawa or RF now. My guess would be in several years that there would be less gas pumps at these convenience stores and that they come up with a different way to make use of the extra space.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    So in my area most of the small gas stations have gone away and have been replaced by Wawa and Royal Farms or just closed up. There's a few hanging on but I don't know how they stay business now. Everyone goes to Wawa or RF now. My guess would be in several years that there would be less gas pumps at these convenience stores and that they come up with a different way to make use of the extra space.
    I was sort of talking about this with my son. I think it would be a good business if you had some type of casual dining restaurant with charging stations along the highways where people could eat while they re charge. That may be the new look for many gas stations.

5. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar