Compartments holding moisture and speed loss with power pole install

Hey so I have a 2017 920 pro xp. My two storage compartments behind the seats always seem to have moisture in them. Is there some sort of plug I’m supposed to have or is there a reason for the unplugged hole in each of the compartments? It’s making it hard to store anything in them.

question 2: I recently swapped out the manual jack plage for a 10” Bob’s machine hydraulic and installed 2 8’ blades. I have somehow lost 7mph off of my top end. I was 74-75 with two guys and 3/4 fuel on a warm day and now I’m 66. In theory I should be just as quick now that I can adjust the plate even with the weight difference. Any ideas? I’m running a 250 pro xs and a 25p 3 blade fury

I also have a 3 year z lock plate for sale if anyone knows of someone looking
    thanks in advance!

2. Member
    I am guessing it is a throttle or prop issue. It may not be reaching wide open throttle. Unless something is dragging, no way your speed would have went that far backward.

3. Member
    The place that installed the poles said it’s likely the prop. What could have happened to it? Nothing is visibly wrong with it. And what’s the likelihood that when they ran the tubing for the poles through the hose leading to my outboard that it somehow effected my throttle cable?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by builtbybama16 View Post
    Hey so I have a 2017 920 pro xp. My two storage compartments behind the seats always seem to have moisture in them. Is there some sort of plug I’m supposed to have or is there a reason for the unplugged hole in each of the compartments? It’s making it hard to store anything in them.

question 2: I recently swapped out the manual jack plage for a 10” Bob’s machine hydraulic and installed 2 8’ blades. I have somehow lost 7mph off of my top end. I was 74-75 with two guys and 3/4 fuel on a warm day and now I’m 66. In theory I should be just as quick now that I can adjust the plate even with the weight difference. Any ideas? I’m running a 250 pro xs and a 25p 3 blade fury

I also have a 3 year z lock plate for sale if anyone knows of someone looking
    thanks in advance!
    Well the holes are so the water can drain out of the compartments. As for the speed loss I would think there would be some due to the added weight but not 7mph worth. Did you swap 10" plate for 10" plate?
    Fish have fins, they swim

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    Well the holes are so the water can drain out of the compartments. As for the speed loss I would think there would be some due to the added weight but not 7mph worth. Did you swap 10" plate for 10" plate?
    I swapped a 10” for a 10”. The problem with the compartments is there shouldn’t be any water in them to begin with. It rarely rains where I am located this time of year and I keep my plug out and stored out of the elements. Yet, there is ALWAYS moisture in the two.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by builtbybama16 View Post
    I swapped a 10” for a 10”. The problem with the compartments is there shouldn’t be any water in them to begin with. It rarely rains where I am located this time of year and I keep my plug out and stored out of the elements. Yet, there is ALWAYS moisture in the two.
    Do you wash out the back deck coming off pad? That is the only way (besides condensation) that I have seen moisture in there.
    Fish have fins, they swim

7. Member
    No I don’t. That’s the strange thing. I get the condensation but it just seems like a lot. Like anything that’s in there will rust

8. Member
    I believe that thise compartments are not classified as weather/waterproof.
    2019 Ranger z521c (RGR17030E819)
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke V8 (2B531611)
    RangerTrail (7J5BBDK20KF164876)

9. Member
    Moisture in the rear compartments has been discussed before--and i had this issue with a 2015 921. Look inside your livewells. Mine were not sealed properly around the upper edge. Dealer sent me some marine sealant--put a bead around the inside upper rim--never had water in the compartments again.

no idea why you lost that much speed. At the most adding poles I would think maybe 1-2 mph and honestly you should have gained speed because of the adjustability of the hydraulic plate to make the boat perform better under changing loads. Might be something to do with not getting to full trim?

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

11. Member
    Any pictures of the pole install?

12. Member
    sent you a PM, also is there any water in the bilge?

13. Member
    Look in the compartments around the top edge and make sure they are sealed good. Also make sure they drains are clear. Also, this time of year the temp changes would create a ton of moisture in my tackle boxes, especially plastics that hold moisture. Could be the humidity and temp changes causing it. If the boat is in your garage just open it up but I ALWAYS put a small fan in the bilge of mine and point it down into the bottom of the boat. You could feel the air circulation in other boxes so I know everything would dry out

14. Member
    A lot of moisture can accumulate from humidity and temperature. When the temp of any surface and the DewPoint temp meet condensation forms. Your boxes are no exception and will be prone to sweat more than other things. The surfaces are cooler a lot of time, even in the garage. The humidity will remain high some places (boats, closed buildings, etc)even after a front and outdoor humidity drops. I do some of this stuff for a living. Rh is hard to deal with in certain environments. Ventilation is your friend. Open or just crack your lids and ventilate them, small fans are even better.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

15. Member
    Thanks everyone! I can get pics of the poles and stuff this weekend and post it. I wouldn’t think I would lose anymore than 1-2 if at all like stated above. I appreciate the help.

16. Member
    Seal the livewells on both sides for the moisture issue.

17. Member
    Any updates