lowrance HDS live 12" install

I had to send my gen 3 HDS 12 in for repair and they sent me a new HDS12 live. Love the unit but it doesn't fit into my console dash!!1 Just a little too big. I am planning on mounting it at the bow since i have a double stack Precision Sonar mount. I was planning on using the built in sonar cable from the ultrex for now,but the connector doesn't fit the new live unit. I can't seem to locate one from Lowrance.
    I am looking at buying the Transducer shield saver bracket for the 3 in 1 transducer for my Ultrex trolling motor. Has anyone installed their unit this way? Any problems with damaging the transducer while fishing with it?
    I would do a bracket mount at the console ,but that would mean installing the new transducer at the stern and routing the cables. I have a gen 3 12 HDS installed in the console now and everything works fine.
    Looking for some input.
    Tks,
    Jim

2. Member
    I ran a 3n1 transducer on Ultrex without issue. Make sure you leave enough slack at the head.

3. Member
    I also run a 3in1 ducer on the ultrex with the Transducer Shield Saver bracket. No issues at all. I've ran into riprap a couple times and luckily no damage or scuffs on the 3in1. This is definitely something you want to avoid having that transducer there. I'd say, if you bump into rocks with the TM pointing forward or backwards you'll probably be ok because in one direction the ultrex keel protects the transducer and in the other the shield saver bracket sort of protects it. Probably not alot of protection from the sides though.

To install the 3in1 I made sure to have some slack and also consider the height adjustment of the ultrex. The cable could get in the way if you're trying to run the ultrex shallower. I also installed the TH marine trolling motor cable jacket for clean look.

Also, the integrated universal ultrex sonar cable should work on your HDS live12. It worked for me... I think the ultrex has two options for integrated sonar though.
    good luck
    2020 Phoenix 19PHX, Mercury 225 ProXS V8 fourstroke

I'll look at mine tomorrow but I think I needed another converter when switching from gen 3 to live as the plug on the back of the units are different for 2D???
    Joe Hall
    Lake City, MN
    Phoenix 721
    XP/ 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    For now I just purchased the minn kota adapter cable that fits the sonar plug. Works great so far. The live is super fast!!!! I wish the transducer saver shield didn't cost $215.00!!!! I will buy it in the future though so i can get the full benefits for the 3-1 transducer.