12/5/2020 fishing report ???

Well guys drove by a small pond on my way home from work tonight and she was frozen over. I’m planning on getting out Saturday morning for a bit wondering what it will be like. A guy at work lives in Anita and will check on it Friday night and let me know how it is. Anybody else going out? Surely there’s some die hard angles out there that will fish till the ice? :-)

I’m in full on hunt mode now so I don’t think I’ll be getting the boat out again before we get ice on the lakes.

3. Banned
    1st shotgun season is this weekend so that'll be my priority. Will be down at my wife's great uncles land west of Greenfield in hopes of getting my wife her first deer. I don't even know if I'll take a shot this year as I still have a lot of deer meat from the 2 I killed last year

4. Member
    Sounds like a good time. I’ve got some guys at work that are getting buck fever bad Lol. Looks like the waters starting to freeze over good, So we will see how it looks Friday night. Hope you guys have a safe hunting season.

5. Member
    Well I got the tackle ready to go and I am laying some winter weather clothing out for tomorrow morning!! Should be a ton of fun Lol. Probably hit Anita my friend is coming and he loves that place. The front ramp is frozen over but the back ramp is open. All the docks are out as well so plan for that if you guys go out. Probably fish till 12ish than come home for football and family time.

6. Member
    Stay warm!

7. Member
    Had a great time. But not good fishing lol. We got on the water 7 am, air temp 22* water temp 36.4 when we started. We were at Anita and unload at the back ramp no Docks in the water not a big deal with 2 guys. So 3/4 of the lake had skim ice, but from the back ramp to the swimming beach was open so that’s were we started. No bait to be seen on the graft anywhere. We made the most of it till 11ish and a area on the south side open up enough for me to get to the water in front of the campground area still had to break ice with the boat. As soon as we crossed the old road bed we started seeing lots of bait grouped up, this is where I wanted to fish from the start but unfortunately the ice kept us away. Water temp was 38 at this point and we got over the rocks and quickly caught 3 bass with a jig and Ned rig. I tried a j- bait with no luck probably needed to let it soak longer but ran out of time and it was time to leave. (12). I’m sure if we spend more time there or was there the hole morning (like I wanted to) we would have got more bites. We will see what the next 7 days are like but I may not get back on the water again because of the ice.... I could probably get on icara next weekend but not sure I want that challenge lol. Anyway if this was it for the year I had a good year. I would like to go south later like Missouri but seems I just never make that trip I need to just schedule it I guess.

8. Member
    Good report!
    Seen 63 for wed and snow on saturday?! Crazy weather

9. Member
    Good report. I assume you’re down in southern Iowa by the lakes you talk about. Don’t hangbit up yet. Head down to Lake of the Ozarks for a couple of days. I go every fall at the end of the season and it’s a 6 hour drive for me. Fishing stays pretty consistent down there throughout the year. PM me if you’re thinking about making the trip and I’ll give ya a couple of places to check for lodging and areas of the lake to fish. It’s really a neat lake

10. Member
    Hey thanks basscat Tyler. I’m actually very familiar with the LOZ my wife’s parents have a condo down there so I have spent about 16yr of summer vacations down there. I’m very familiar with the grand glaze arm from PB2 down in to the state park area. Crazy as it seems I’ve never bass fished down there except from the docks, there boat is one of them big tubs not good for fish Lol. We have done really well catching blue cats from the docks though. I do really need to go down there I would have a free place to stay a boat slip on the water. Only down side is the drive.

11. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    I went to beaver lake here in Nebraska and they were eating jerks. We caught 23 bass and water was 44 degrees
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

12. Member
    That sounds like a great time Phoenix Jim! I’m planning on going out again this Saturday hoping the warmer weather this week will melt the ice off the water. I know Friday is going to get cold again well see what happens.

13. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Headed down Thursday to pony creek Kansas. They have big wipers down there that love a spoon this time of year. Great bass lake too
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

14. Member
    Jim have you ever fished that power plant lake in Kansas La cygne? I’ve seen some YouTube videos of people fishing there in the winter.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    Jim have you ever fished that power plant lake in Kansas La cygne? I’ve seen some YouTube videos of people fishing there in the winter.
    Its a tough lake. Yes, it is home to some large bass, but the lake is highly pressured. It fishes best when the weather is the worst. Its also a dangerous lake to run on in the Southern half as well as after any rain. Lots of barely submerged trees and big floaters.

My wife and I go down there every October for a week. Good LM, plenty of whites and wipers also. Have always done pretty well down there. If they are not generating the bite is really tough!!