Thread: 1860 MOD-V

1860 MOD-V

Hey all, first post.

I was wondering if there were any opinions out there on center console 18 foot mod-v boats.

I've been looking at the Lund Predator, Alumacraft 1860, and Tracker Grizzly 18.

Is there anything that would sway you in any direction? I would be using the boat mainly to fish and duck hunt secondary. I'm really looking for a good overall boat that I can take anywhere (lakes rivers occasional salt).

Thanks

2. Member
    Center console get in the way a lot. FIL has 1860 Tracker with 50 tiller. Open floor plan. Great combo. Very versatile.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Center console get in the way a lot. FIL has 1860 Tracker with 50 tiller. Open floor plan. Great combo. Very versatile.

I'm not opposed to a tiller, I would think the CC would be more comfortable for driving though. I've used small tillers and it made my shoulder/arm hurt. The bigger motor on the CC is a plus too.

4. Member
    I agree about the CC possible getting in the way. Maybe it would not depending on your fishing style. I know a lot of the bridges over the creeks around here may be a tight squeeze with a CC.

I am surprised that more folks do not fish a large john style hull. They offer the most stability and width up front that you can get.

5. Banned
    I think the CC would get in the way too. I had 2 tillers and will go with a side console on the next one.

6. Member
    I guess I was thinking the CC would be fine for most fishing applications, as I usually have someone on the front platform and one in the far back. I could see it being annoying for duck hunting however.

7. Banned
    If shallow water is in the equation, look at excel.

Of the three you listed, the Lund is light years ahead of the other two in quality of construction.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments