tackle storage in older Rangers

Has anyone come up with a good solution for tackle storage in the older Ranger boats that have the front center compartment where the floor in the compartment is angled and not flat? You can't get Plano 3600 or 3700 boxes to stand up due to the angle. Last year I made a floor out of plywood and it worked pretty good, but I also lost several inches of space since the floor had to be raised in order to be level in that compartment. Just curious if anyone has come up with something better? I really don't want to use the drivers side rod locker if possible.

2. Member
    I used the rubber coated white shelving you can find at home depot to make it level and then placed the 3700 and 3600 on top of it and it still cleared . Cheap and very effective

tackle storage bag.jpgtackle storage bag with plano 3600.jpg

I use a couple Bass Pro Shops Utility Box Carriers set side by side with Plano 3600 style boxes. Each bag holds 6 utility boxes snuggly.
    Last edited by LennyB; 12-02-2020 at 03:44 PM.

I tried the shelf and it worked well but it cut off access to the front on the box. And after a run in rough water my 3700 boxes wouldn't stay in place. I'm about to move 3700's to the compartment on rear deck and load lighter stuff in the front box.

5. Member
    I have about 16 3700 boxes in the factory deck extension box. I think that the floor angles inwards a little.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

6. Member
    What I do during tournament season with partner in my r82 is, I put all my hard bait in that front compartment where that V is. I have enough tackle that they all fit tight together and doesn't get throw around. I put my soft plastic in the compartment behind me and leave the other side open for my partner. Regular fishing. I just storage everything back in the two back compartment and I use the front v box for lift jacket to extra cloths and jerkbait bass mafia box. (usually my winter fishing.)
    97 Ranger r82 with 05 honda bf150, Helix 10 mega link with 1198c, Ultrex 80. Fish hard and keep hooking.

I measured and cut a piece of plywood to make a false bottom. The issue is getting that piece through the opening because it will not fit. I cut the wood in half. Wrapped both pieces in carpet and wedged them into the bottom. It works great and I haven't had any issues with it.

8. Member
    I got bread boxes for plastics

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyB View Post
    tackle storage bag.jpgtackle storage bag with plano 3600.jpg

I use a couple Bass Pro Shops Utility Box Carriers set side by side with Plano 3600 style boxes. Each bag holds 6 utility boxes snuggly.
    this is what I use too. My soft plastics go in a Plano shoebox type container, swimbaits in a soft sided gander mtn boat bag, spare line, scale, pliers md other tools in another soft sided boat bag. Everything comes out of the boat when it gets home. I bring about 30 packs of plastics each time I go and only having that one shoebox container really helps minimize what I bring in a good way
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I have the same issue and been wanting a false floor forever but never have took the time to do it. I keep my hard baits in the compartment to the right of the middle storage and just keep ziplock bags of plastics and life jackets in the angled compartment.
    Last edited by RANGER487; 12-07-2020 at 09:29 AM.

I stow my jackets, rain gear, throwable and net up there so it's not an issue but perhaps a floor piece made of some type of grate, like plastic....?

This is ME !! I saved a bunch of the boxes when I had a Lucky Tackle Box subscription. This has really worked well for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents