Upgrading with a mix of HDS Gen2 & Gen3 - Need Help!

My winter project of upgrading my boat's electronics is just about to start. What I have are (2) Gen 2 non touch units and (1) Gen 3 unit. Also, I have an LSS1 module and Lss-1 transducer. I plan to mock up the units on the deck of my boat prior to the permanent install. For me, having the Gen 3 and a Gen 2 unit on the console and the other Gen 2 at the bow is best. I have found comments in other threads about networking Gen 3's to older units and the legacy mode???. The Gen 3 console unit will be used for DS/SS while the Gen 2 console unit will be mapping and 2D sonar. The bow Gen 2 will have 2D sonar and hopefully networked with ethernet to see SS, waypoints and mapping. With wanting to network all 3 units, I assume I will need to use the LSS1 module since the Gen 3 unit only has 2 ethernet ports. Does anyone see any issues or tips with this approach? I did see where the Gen 3 unit should have the version 7 update loaded with older Gen 2 units.

Any advice would be helpful as I'm in unchartered waters.

I'm not 100% but don't believe there is a legacy "relationship" between G3 and G2 units. Thought that started with Carbons:earlier units.

Why not remove LSS1 module from equation? Connect SS transducer to G3 for processing instead of module. 2 e-net ports on G3 go 1 each to your G2s.

I think you have it figured out, no surprises.

Something to think about; if you put the Gen3 on the bow, you will be able to run an HDI transducer on the trolling motor to get sonar and downscan. But that may not be your preference.

Either way you will need the LSS-1 module to have enough Ethernet connections.

I have experience with an HDS Touch in the same eNet network as a Gen3 but have never tried the Non Touch units. If there are any surprises, that is where it will be.

As for the legacy mode, I did not see any feature loss but my interest was only chirp and fish reveal and both were there.

One thing I did notice, was the Gen3 was not able to use the complete computing power. I was trying to pull a large map card from the Gen2 on the console to the Gen3 and it would time out and reboot. This is antidotal evidence at best but worked ok when I took the Gen2 out of the circuit and replaced it with a Gen3.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Appreciate the comments! I failed to mention that the Gen3 unit has (2) ethernet ports so if eliminating the LSS1 module is an option as suggested by Nightmare, that would be one less component to make room for.

5. Member
    I have a gen2 touch and 2 gen 2 non touch units networked via Ethernet. There is an LSS 2 hooked directly to the gen 2 touch that can be viewed on all units. Maps are shared with all units. No additional box needed.
    2007 Ranger Z19 - 225 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by POPPAB View Post
    I have a gen2 touch and 2 gen 2 non touch units networked via Ethernet. There is an LSS 2 hooked directly to the gen 2 touch that can be viewed on all units. Maps are shared with all units. No additional box needed.
    That is good to know POPPAB. My first deck bench test will be without the module and the Lss-1 transducer connected directly to the Gen3

7. Member
    Good deal. I’m sure it will work fine.
    2007 Ranger Z19 - 225 Pro XS