Steelhead Combo for a friend

Like title states, I have a friend who is looking to get her husband a new steelhead fishing combo for Christmas. I pretty much bass/walleye fish only so I'm not 100% sure what to recommend, she just knows I fish a lot so wanted to ask me. Wondering if anyone here has any basic suggestions? She said she'd like to stay under $250 if possible.

Thanks!
    1994 Ranger 482VS Bass Masters Classic Edition #51

2. Member
    Only a thousand different variables- What type of steelhead fishing? Bobber, hardware, bank or boat, spinning or casting, braid or mono, ave fish size, water size?
    8"6", 8#-17# about the most common here in the northwest but I have about a dozen steelhead set ups ranging from 7'-11' depending on method and size of water.
    ​WHY ASK WHY?

3. Member
    Here in the Midwest I would say 8'6" M 8#-15# I would go with a retailer like BPS so he can bring it in and exchange in its not what he wants. They have a Fenwick HMS for $99 and for example he could walk in and exchange for the same rod in a 9' ML if that M is what he's looking for. I would otherwise recommend an Okuma guide Select at about the same cost but again at a close by retailer for ease of exchange as necessary. You need a 30 sized spinning reel and there are plenty at a $150 price point. Have her look in the garage and see if he leans heavy on a particular brand. Another thought if he has 30 or 40 sized reels he needs waders. I have some new Frog Togg Steelhead waders that are awesome. They are breathable have the 1200 gram boots attached warm and @ $200 worth every penny. Next don't leave this stuff to chance people! It's Christmas and heck there are cyber deals this week. The only thing I have had to agreed to over the years is not finding exactly what I want (for a gift) at the price I am willing to pay ordering it and having the family repay the cost. Now I send them the deal on the net and telling them be quick because it will sell out at this price. BTW a steelhead is like a 30" SM you can catch them in cold water on a warm early spring day you ought to give it a shot w your buddy
    Last edited by grindstone; 12-02-2020 at 02:08 PM.

This is probably not the most helpful, but I’ve been out of the game for a few years, so what I would do if I were buying one today is to take a look at what FishUSA has in stock around the price point and read reviews. You’ll get some good insight there from what I figure is the main tackle retailer right in the middle of steelhead alley. Past that, as suggested above, Okuma was always near the top in bang for your buck steelhead rods in the past; I have to imagine that’s continued.

What you would consider a good bass spinning reel will make a good steelhead reel too. The main difference is probably that drag performance trumps weight, and honestly weight can actually help there with those long, tip heavy rods. Daiwa BG, something in the Pflueger line would be good options!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1nutinthewater View Post
    Only a thousand different variables- What type of steelhead fishing? Bobber, hardware, bank or boat, spinning or casting, braid or mono, ave fish size, water size?
    8"6", 8#-17# about the most common here in the northwest but I have about a dozen steelhead set ups ranging from 7'-11' depending on method and size of water.
    Yea I told her I would need more info probably but she said she had no idea haha. I told her I get it she's trying hard, but honestly might be best to get him a gift card if she doesn't know exactly what he wants.
    1994 Ranger 482VS Bass Masters Classic Edition #51