Two Echomap UHD 93 sv, LiveScope, and Garmin port expander networking question

I recently networked 2 Echomap 93sv and my LiveScope through a Garmin port expander. I initially set-up each of the 93’s independent of each other using Active Captain and both units have their own SD cards. When I connected them through the port expander one of the 93’s complained about there being two SD cards with Active Captain. I removed the SD from the newest 93 and all appears well. Both see the the other devices. My question is about the 2nd 93. Does it run its maps and waypoints stored and accessed from the SD on the 1st 93? Does the 2nd 93 need a SD card at all?

By the way, do I need to change any of the settings on the networked units?

2. Member
    You're good to go. There has to be only 1 AC card in a network. They each run their own internal maps, unless you add a map card. If you run QuickDraw, it will be put on the existing card and accessed by both, if settings indicate to do that.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    What you are seeing is correct . In the beginning you had to have an AC card for each unit but could only connect to one unit at a time with phone. As the years went buy and add in the Force TM, they reconfigured it and now you chose one unit to be the AC head and now any notifications, etc. thru AC is done thru that main unit. Waypoints are stored on each units memory; since you have built-in mapping, no maps will be shared unless using mapping card; QD maps will be shared; you can take out the card in the other.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    Thanks gang for the insight.

I did work with Garmin Support today about an error I would get indicating the update was not compatible with the built-in map. I used Garmin Express to download the provided free latest map updates. I inserted the updated SD card in one the 93’s and both updated. What wasn’t clear was the SD card with the map update must remain in one of the units, since the file is too large to be loaded on the Echomap. I set-up AC on that Card also, so I’m good to go at the present time.

I’m thinking this should be listed in the documentation someplace

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Also with that large map, it may slow down the unit. I have the 1st gen EC+ unit and did the map update on card and ended up taking the update off the card and placed on PC.....so if the unit is pretty slow to load, that may be your issue.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    I had the same question just last week. I added a 106SV to my existing 94SV Plus / Livescope setup. When I first connected them together I had a similar warning about 2 Active Captains. I removed the SD card from the 94 (I wanted the 106 as the master if you will) and then completely reset the 94 to factory settings. After a restart, I checked the maps on the 94 and they were the maps and waypoints I already had on the 106. I added a waypoint on the 106 and it popped up on the 94. It is completely integrated, settings I change on the 106 are reflected on the 94 and I did not need to re-insert a card into the 94, it just used the 106 info. Perfect in my opinion!