Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HELP: buying first bass boat

Hi there,

Can anyone please give me some suggestions on a bass boat that you believe is the best for the price. Looking from 8,000 to 15,000 dollars.

Any suggestions would be great. Obviously want a typical bass boat with trolling motor and all the extras I can get.

Thanks in advanced

2. Member
    A lot depends on what you're really looking to get.

21ft boat with a 250 vs 18ft boat with a 150, or anywhere in between.

For that price range you're looking at a late 90's - Early 2000's depending on the above.
    Keep your eyes open, I found several facebook groups that list boats in that price range everyday.

At that age the motor is probably the most important thing to look at, if you find a boat you like, do your research on the motor, and get it checked out by a reputable mechanic.

Next thing is structural integrity of the hull, several manufacturers began going to 100% fiberglass around those age ranges, again once you find a boat in your price range that seems like a good fit, try to read up on that brand to find out more about it.

I was in the same situation 2 years ago, and landed on a pristine 2002 Basscat, it didn't have any electronics, which worked out great foir me, as I could add what I wanted and be up to date with the current offerings. The motor checked out great, the hull is 100% fiberglass, and it looked like it was barely used.
    2002 Basscat Sabre Merc 150 XR6
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

3. Member
    I will be honest with you - for a first time BB owner - that price range is the most difficult and the most risky. Older boats, Older stuff, odds of issues (major and minor) skyrocket compared to another $10k. Those odds always exist in the used boat world but that price range is 1995-2000 range now days so 20-25 years old. On the positive, they are less risky to work on yourself and usually more simple and it will give you practice on fixing and keeping a BB up and running with most everything working. My advice, hold back some money for fixing and updating and most importantly pay close attention to how the boat has been kept up and the current owner and how he keeps all of his stuff (truck, garage, house, himself) Most people don't separate or discriminate their cleanliness and upkeep. And that price, solid running motor means everything.

I was in this exact situation earlier this year. Same price range and first bass boat. I wish I had found this forum before I started looking.
    Do your homework and go look at various makes and models in your driving range.
    I ended up with a 2003 Stratos 185 with the original Yamaha V150TLRB with 300 hours. Good electronics and upgrades like hydraulic steering, hot foot and livewell pump out feature. Sound boat and trailer.
    So for me it was a good deal, others may want a 20-21' hull with bigger motor. Alot depends on what you are going to use your boat for.
    Happy hunting
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

I would highly recommend a 18 footer with a 150. For that old I personally would stay away from a Nitro. I would also aboid any Johnson or Evinrude motors as they are their manufacturers are no longer in business and parts will be very hard to find.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

You may want to post your home state so folks can help you look
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach185 View Post
    You may want to post your home state so folks can help you look
    His location says Branson so I'm assuming he's in Missouri. I'd suggest any older Ranger with a 150 Mercury. I have a 1997 Ranger with a 150 EFI Mercury that
    has been very reliable. The motor reliability is everything with older boats.

8. Member
    As others have said, do your homework and keep looking. Don’t settle on a boat with mechanical issues or hull damage. Look at the battery compartment organization, cleanliness of wiring or the quality of electronic installations. It’s a good indication of how well it was taken care of. If wires are just piled up in the compartment, or the compartment is a mess, it usually means the owner is careless with maintenance and looks for shortcuts. The smallest details show how it was cared for.. look for loose wiring, loose screws, uncovered holes from old mounts, etc.

I have no hesitation buying an older boat especially if it was well cared for. I’d rather buy an old boat that was a garage queen and has been properly maintained than a 5yo boat that was driven extremely hard and maintenance was lacking. In fact I sold a 2003 Nitro to buy a 25yo ranger.

For pricing, check NADA for the book value of the boat, trailer, and motor without any additional add ons. Then Figure out the cost of extras yourself, unless it’s brand new and the current gen models, a good rule of thumb is 30-50% off the current retail pricing for each item. Add those two together and you should be in the general ballpark of how much the boat should go for. If they’re asking a lot more (like thousands more), walk away. Only be willing to pay more than what the boat is actually worth if it’s in pristine condition.

That last statement brings me to this: Banks and insurance companies only cover up to book value, they could care less what the seller thinks it’s worth off some imaginary market value. The boats for sale page on here is a very good place to look but be careful, most are asking way more than what it’s actually worth, some are so overpriced it’s actually laughable
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

9. Banned
    make friends with a local (that has owned boats)and can go look at the potential purchase with you.

10. Banned

11. Member
    This^^^

12. Member
    get your cash ready and on hand

decide where you are going to keep the boat. Measure carefully if you want to use the garage. But a cover if not

most important element is the motor. run it and get someone to look at it that can do a compression check and leak down test. You can negotiate that in the price

search craigslist daily and be ready when you see what you are looking for
    1995 Ranger 690 VS
    2008 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke

13. Member
    facebook market is good too
    1995 Ranger 690 VS
    2008 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke

14. Member
    Or you can get a brand new tracker. Only bad thing, it’s a tracker but it would be brand new. Tiny motor, tiny boat, tin, mass produced. Warranty though. Though decision at that price range.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

15. Member
    Also depends on what water you're fishing. Small to midsize lakes, an 18 footer could work really well. Shallow, sketchy rivers? Consider tin. Big water that get sizable waves? Consider a 20-21 footer. Though if you're largely fishing places like the Great Lakes I would be looking at deep Vs.

I think a large portion of the market fishes midsize lakes, hence why 18 - 19 footers are so popular. You might be able to find a good mid 2000s of that length in your budget. Try and stick with brands that are still around. I see a lot of Procraft and Javelin boats on sale around my area. I have no experience with and nothing against those brands, but you have to wonder why so many are on sale.

16. Member
    I would find a good 20 ft Triton, Javelin or Stratos for that price range with a 200 or 225 hp with EFI .

2016 Triton 20 TRX Patriot, 250 PRO XS
    Shawn Willoughby

17. Member
    I would think hard about how much time you are willing to put into working on a boat. If you aren't interested in replacing pumps, wires, gauges, engine components, axle bearings, lights...etc then an old used boat just isn't for you and I would take the advice of a new Tracker for your first one. Maybe a gently used one that still has warranty on the outboard. I bought an old boat, the one in my signature. I paid about 11K for it and I have replaced nearly all the wiring, all the pumps, all the thru hull fittings, and the motor is getting rebuilt now. I also budgeted for those things because I knew I wasn't going to trust the previous owners or the almost 30 year old components. I'm glad I did as I found many issues that would have never been uncovered. However, this was only possible because I was willing to do as much of the work myself as possible within reason for a hull that I really like. That cost me time on the water though.

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225

18. Member
    A lot of good advice has been given. I bought a 2003 Triton tr 20 last spring. I’m not new to bass boats so I had some knowledge of what to look for. To me I want it to be structural sound. Look for stress cracks and determine if they are just gel coat or deeper especially around transom and splash well. Look for black bleeding around fittings and screws in the transom as this is a sign of water . If you see that keep looking. Look at the bottom and keel for damage and oxidation on top cap. Some oxidation can be buffed or wet sanded out. Then you have to look at motor . Hours on motor? Is the keg in good shape? Prop good? Be sure and take to lake and run it. Pumps go out and are easy to fix. The charger and batteries are more expensive. Do some research on electronics so you have an idea how much value they might add to the boat. It’s always good to have someone experienced to go with you.

8,000-15,000 is a pretty wide range. If you can afford the 15,000 then that's where I would start. Go to to the Boats For Sale section here on the board and start looking at each brand. That will give you an idea what you can get for that amount. Even if you see one listed for let's say 17,500 look at it too because there may be some wiggle room on the price.

At that age if a boat has made it 20 years, don't worry about brand. Condition and the motor is prolly gonna be your biggest factors in that price range.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast