Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about lithium battery

Thinking of adding lithium batteries . I have a Minn Kota 315d battery charger. Will it work with the lithium batteries?
    Thanks
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Depends on the battery manufacturer but most will say no to the MinnKota digital versions but a precision set for Agm will come closer to meeting the charging specks of many brand's
    I can only speak for Ionics and K2 energy but the 315d doesn't work for either
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

4. Moderator
    Good info.

5. Member
    If you're going to make the investment for lithium's...spend the extra money on are charge spec'd for them.
    Fish have fins, they swim

6. Member
    I know Amped Outdoors also recommend the Minn Kota Precision chargers. That's what I use for my trolling motor lithiums.

12 volt Lithium Pros can be charged with any AGM charger
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    If you're going to make the investment for lithium's...spend the extra money on are charge spec'd for them.

9. Member
    My MK330D charges my battleborn lithiums fine, albeit maybe not to 100% capacity. Ultimately, as long as it doesn't have a desulfate, and doesn't charge over 14.5V, you should be ok on MOST lithiums. But consult the manufacturer first.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

10. Banned
    Yup, minn kota pc charger was what was recommended by my lithium manufacturer so that's what I use. Charges them to 100% every time.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    I know Amped Outdoors also recommend the Minn Kota Precision chargers. That's what I use for my trolling motor lithiums.
    Its also the suggested charger for Relions

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    Depends on the battery manufacturer but most will say no to the MinnKota digital versions but a precision set for Agm will come closer to meeting the charging specks of many brand's
    I can only speak for Ionics and K2 energy but the 315d doesn't work for either
    I have Amped batteries. So which is the better choice? The Precision MK or Ionic?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
    I have Amped batteries. So which is the better choice? The Precision MK or Ionic?
    your pick. I have seen the pc chargers on sale locally and online for cheaper than the ionic so I am probably going that direction

14. Member
    So which is the best amperage for lithiums 10 or 15? I do have an X2 AGM starting/electronics battery as well.

15. Member
    Common sense prevails.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

16. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
    I cant make charger recommendations for brands other than IONIC and K2 energy

I do sell IONIC, Minnkota, NOCO, Stealth, Pro Mariner and DualPro the first 3 are usually compatible with most Lithium's, the latter 3 can be purchased with correct wiring or programing for most lithium.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    I cant make charger recommendations for brands other than IONIC and K2 energy

I do sell IONIC, Minnkota, NOCO, Stealth, Pro Mariner and DualPro the first 3 are usually compatible with most Lithium's, the latter 3 can be purchased with correct wiring or programing for most lithium.
    Is the amperage an issue at all, i.e. 15 opposed to 10?

18. Member
    If the charger is not specifically designed for Lithium.
    Minnkota PC-460 is the only charger I found in my research that will charge Lithium's.
    It must be set up on AGM to perform properly.
    It's not the amperage, it's the charging system it's self. How it measures the battery to
    determine it's state of charge. How it shuts off and goes into a maintenance mode.
    The term float voltage is of concern.

Float voltage is the voltage at which a battery is maintained after being fully charged to maintain that capacity by compensating for self-discharge of the battery. ... The appropriate float voltage varies significantly with the chemistry and construction of the battery, and ambient temperature.

At this time, most bass boats have a plug-in and leave it charging system designed for wet-cell or AGM's.
    It's the design of these charging systems that will destroy an expensive Lithium battery if it does not shut down to a specific float voltage.
    Also for cranking batteries, Yamaha and Mercury will not warranty a motor with a lithium battery connected to it.
    Both motors provide at least 85 Amps of charging power at WOT. Some lithium batteries will actually shut down when over
    charged and leave you stranded on the water. Battery Management Systems (BMS) should be a must for any lithium. Even
    if it just lets you know the state of charge.

Some day, Lithium will be the standard. It just takes the manufacturers to get with it!

Good Luck on your choice.

19. Member
    Thank you.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    If the charger is not specifically designed for Lithium.
    Minnkota PC-460 is the only charger I found in my research that will charge Lithium's.
    It must be set up on AGM to perform properly.
    It's not the amperage, it's the charging system it's self. How it measures the battery to
    determine it's state of charge. How it shuts off and goes into a maintenance mode.
    The term float voltage is of concern.

Float voltage is the voltage at which a battery is maintained after being fully charged to maintain that capacity by compensating for self-discharge of the battery. ... The appropriate float voltage varies significantly with the chemistry and construction of the battery, and ambient temperature.

At this time, most bass boats have a plug-in and leave it charging system designed for wet-cell or AGM's.
    It's the design of these charging systems that will destroy an expensive Lithium battery if it does not shut down to a specific float voltage.
    Also for cranking batteries, Yamaha and Mercury will not warranty a motor with a lithium battery connected to it.
    Both motors provide at least 85 Amps of charging power at WOT. Some lithium batteries will actually shut down when over
    charged and leave you stranded on the water. Battery Management Systems (BMS) should be a must for any lithium. Even
    if it just lets you know the state of charge.

Some day, Lithium will be the standard. It just takes the manufacturers to get with it!

Good Luck on your choice.

Drewtick.........any information on engines shutting down with lithiums???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast