All this caliber talk, seems like a lot of knowledgeable air gunners

On here so who hunts with them and what caliber do you use

2. Member
    Their is a TV program that is all about air rifles and I have seen them shooting squirrels, ground hogs and the small animals like that just do a google search and you will find all the information you need. I have friend that has one that will shoot a pellet through a sheet of 3/4 ply wood, can't remember the caliber. It came from Bass Pro and he paid around $300.00 for it.

My old fishing partner lived on a private lake, as he got older he hated the ducks and geese because of the poo on everything. Boat, pontoon, jet ski, dock, beach, even his patio. He bought a pellet gun that holds one pellet in the pipe. I saw him shoot a duck from the deck of his house to the water (30 yards ) and killed the duck. Sure a lot more powerful then the BB guns I had as a kid

4. Member
    i hear the military is using air power rifles for sniper units where noise is a big give-away to position?? have customers with some 1k-1500 dollar ones with big scopes look real impressive
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    I don't hunt with them except small game(22 caliber) occasionally, I fish so I can't afford the big calibers and Texas hunts. One of these days though when the wife ain't paying attention, maybe.

(1) airgun hog hunt - YouTube
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

6. Member
    I think the one I shot was a .50 caliber pellet. My buddy shot 2 does with it last winter. If I remember the dude said you can shoot it about 3 times before it has to be recharged. It was a pretty awesome pellet gun.

7. Member
    My grandson and I shoot them quite often 177 n the 22 Benjamin there fun for small game and just target shooting

I have a Gamo CFX .177 with a 4-16x scope. Super accurate setup - I have used it for spot & stalk rabbit hunts. One shot in the right place and they drop in their tracks.
    Scott
    Stratos 285XL

I've got a Gamo Whisper fusion Mach1 in .22 cal.. It'll definitely knock a squirrel on its ass. I have a Gamo Urban .22 PCP on the way and can't wait for it to get here!
    1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite DC
    2010 Mercury 200 ProXS
    Dual Lowrance Ti2's / Ghost TM

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksiede View Post
    I've got a Gamo Whisper fusion Mach1 in .22 cal.. It'll definitely knock a squirrel on its ass. I have a Gamo Urban .22 PCP on the way and can't wait for it to get here!
    They work great on iguanas too!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    They work great on iguanas too!
    ...do they taste like chicken ?

12. Member
    I use .177 and .22 calibers, but do not hunt. A few of my guns are no longer in production. My Air Arms ProElite .22 is a powerhouse for a spring air rifle. Been tuned including the trigger. Would have no problem hunting woodchucks (groundhogs to some of you) or even a little larger game. My Theoben SLR98 has a 7-shot magazine (.22). It is an under-lever cocking rifle. Compact. Probably the best (for me) gun I have for offhand shooting. Very capable up to at least woodchuck size. As I stated in another air gun thread, the Beeman R7 is one sweet gun. Light, compact, almost no recoil, very accurate.

Also mentioned in the other thread was to make sure you get a scope designed for air guns. I don't know about PCPs, but a spring powered rifle can destroy a regular scope because of the differences in recoil between a regular powder rifle and a spring powered rifle.

Used to be quite a few videos Online depicting shooting rats and prairie dogs with spring and PCP air rifles.

13. Member
    The latest trend is pcp air rifles that can send conical bullets(slugs) over 1000 fps. Understand that a 20-30 grain pointed slug(.22 Cal) at 1000+ fps produces 50-70+ft-lbs of energy, retains it's energy way better than a classic "pellet" shaped projectile, and is far more accurate at faster speeds.

When the manufacturer of these airguns get the barrel twist rates, valving, and regulators dialed in for using pointed slugs in the larger calibers, .25 and up. . .were gonna see some seriously powerful and long range effective airguns on the market. Only a matter of time, as enthusiasts have been figuring this out for a while.

Raptor Whisper in .22
    I take out the rats that run in and out of my garden around sun down.
    works perfectly. Make sure you research your ammo if you want to play around with getting higher FPS.

15. Member
    Thanks fellas