Question Ram 1500 Rear Diff.

I have a 2013 dodge Ram 1500 6 cyl. 4wheel drive. I want to change the fluid in my rear diff. How can I find out if I need to add that special additive before I add the gear oil. Will the parts store know. I'm hoping I can avoid the dealer. The rear diff looks like it's pretty easy to get at.

2. Member
    Just call the dealers part dept and give them your vin number. They will be able to tell you. You shouldn't have to take it to them to get the answer.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

3. Member
    If you have a limited slip then you need the additive. Last time I did one was on my 2007 with limited slip. I went with Royal Purple and it had the " friction modifier additive" in it already.

4. Member
    Chock your front wheels and jack the rear end up. Make sure to secure those front tires because your parking brake will be useless when the back end is off the ground. Put truck in neutral and spin the back wheel. If the opposite wheel spins in the opposite direction you have a peg leg open diff.

On another note it won’t hurt anything to add that 4 oz if you have an open diff. Will hurt it if you have LSD and don’t.

ETA: Take care of that rear end. The day after Thanksgiving the tranny and rear end grenaded in my Dodge 1500. They take a little bit off your trade in allowance when it comes in on a rollback. My Dodge did have 196k on it but it took three transmissions and two engines to get there.

5. Member
    I thought all the 4wd had lsd’s, attests all the hemi 4wd do, I think...

6. Member
    Plenty of 4WD trucks out there with an open rear differential. I "discovered" that the hard way one time.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
    Plenty of 4WD trucks out there with an open rear differential. I "discovered" that the hard way one time.
    Ditto. My 4WD Ram Big Horn had an open rear diff.

Owners manual
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS