Pro XS TorqueMaster gear case versus 4 stroke standard gearcase

This would be for gearcases supplied on the new 250HP 2018 and up 4 strokes. Can someone help explain to me the difference between these two gearcases. They appear to have the same gear ratio according to Mercury's outboard comparison.

I am trying to order the 250 ProXS for my tritoon and Lowe doesn't want to rig it like that from factory and wants to use the standard 4 stroke or Verado. I can only guess maybe where the motor sits in the water how the pad lines up with the prop, they have an issue with this. Trying to educate my myself before going back at them. My dealer will order the motor and install for extra cost and they didn't recommend it either, but they also couldn't tell me why don't recommend it.

2. Member
    i dont think you want the torque master on a toon. designed for 70+ mph applications. you wont see benifit o
    The standard 5.44 lower a better choice.

in my opinion the standard 4 stroke or verado v8 would be a better choice for a toon. for many reasons . noise be #1
    also
    1.85 ratio be benificial for a toon . harder to prop higher ratios.
    Last edited by 12many; 12-01-2020 at 07:07 PM.
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

3. Member
    Noise is not a concern, I wanted the ProXS sound :). Dealer is offering the ProXS at the same price as the standard 4 stroke a money reason is not a concern there, just if there is a negative performance reason

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The TM gearcase needs to run at an elevated mounting height to perform properly- and it is very unlikely that you will be able to run that high even on a Performance Tri-toon.

The 5.44 gearcase offers the same gear ratio, and can be run at heights more suitable to your boat. Either in the Fourstroke or the Verado versions.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The TM gearcase needs to run at an elevated mounting height to perform properly- and it is very unlikely that you will be able to run that high even on a Performance Tri-toon.

The 5.44 gearcase offers the same gear ratio, and can be run at heights more suitable to your boat. Either in the Fourstroke or the Verado versions.
    Thank you Don, been following this forums for months and been very happy seeing the community help each other here. Not trying to drag this out too much but this is where everyone's comments seem to end using the TM gearcase with the tritoon. No one really provides a reason why it wouldn't work submerged more in the water. It is more hydrodynamic right, not seeing how this would hurt it.

At the end of the day, I mean are we talking like a couple MPH difference here? That's not a deal breaker for me

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In addition to losing a couple MPH, running the TM gearcase too deep can cause some adverse handling characteristics (the "wing" needs to up near the surface at high speeds or it can result in transom lift or bite at the wrong time).

Simply need to use the correct gearcase/engine choice for the application.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Go VERADO V8
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

8. Member
    Is this the concern?1.jpg

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, that and the geometry of the gearcase.