Thread: Pulling wires

Pulling wires

I have to say I am extremely frustrated as I failed in my attempt to pull wire on my 2018 Z-520L.
    I had my boat built with Humminbird Solix graphs, what I know now is they are notoriously power hungry so I finally had some harnesses made somewhat like the Sea Clear stuff we have seen here. I was able to get my fish tape from the console to the back, that one is done but try as I might, the fish tape could not/ would not go from the bow to the back.

I tried every tube, even some creative methods but a total fail as the tape would get to the back (I could hear it) but not through

2. Member
    There is a 3ft run from where my soon (hopefully) to arrive Solix G3 attaches to my battery. I love that the battery compartment is under my console. (Bay boat, but it will still catch bass)

3. Member
    Kromer I just did the same thing. I went from the back to the con and then from the front to the con. I had to take all the stuff off the driver side to get it done. Removed the start panel,
    the trim around the seat and throttle removed hot foot and the round panel by hot foot I wish Ranger would run some extra wiring for our heavy duty graphs. Heck of a job to do But no more power issues. 2018 520L

You'll find that if you go from the console to the bow, it's much easier. Then attach a heavy chord and pull it back, then attach your harness to the chord and pull it forward. I would also attach an extra length of chord and then leave it in so that if you ever need to pull something thru again, it'll be there ready for you.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jstbass View Post
    Kromer I just did the same thing. I went from the back to the con and then from the front to the con. I had to take all the stuff off the driver side to get it done. Removed the start panel,
    the trim around the seat and throttle removed hot foot and the round panel by hot foot I wish Ranger would run some extra wiring for our heavy duty graphs. Heck of a job to do But no more power issues. 2018 520L
    Exactly what I did but I only removed keypad and vent. Pushed a fish tape to the back from the key pad hole, make sure you keep it up on top. Then when I saw the tape at the back used a coat hanger to reach in and pull the tape to battery area. Then used that to pull 3/8” rope to the console.

Then get the rope to the bow and you have it licked

Make sure you that when you pull the cable in you pull a rope in with it so you don’t have to this again in the future for anything else.
    Last edited by RGK456; 12-01-2020 at 05:51 PM.

6. Scraps
    I can't imagine using a fish tape. I've used the fiberglass sticks with great success. I push the cables from console to bilge. Enter in the starboard rod locker.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I can't imagine using a fish tape. I've used the fiberglass sticks with great success. I push the cables from console to bilge. Enter in the starboard rod locker.
    Worked just fine for me....

8. Member
    What are "fiberglass sticks"? Thought fish tape would be about only option.

9. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampseed View Post
    In the electrical section at Home-a-Dope. They're about four feet long threaded on either end and can be screwed together to make a 12ft stick. Two lengths to get to the bilge. I may have gotten mine at Harbor Fright.

I could see A LOT of frustration using a fish tape on my boat. I have also used a piece of Romex for fishing as well.
    2017 Phoenix 819

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampseed View Post
    I think he is talking about something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eagle-Tool-...gth/1001417592

11. Member
    There is a center drain from the bilge to the bow,if all else fails,you can run a wire front to back in that.

12. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    I think he is talking about something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eagle-Tool-...gth/1001417592
    These.
    2017 Phoenix 819