Lowrance HDS9 gen 3 touch - Freezing

Hey guys,
    Hope some of you might have experienced this issue and can help me.

I have an HDS9 gen3 touch unit and it powers on just fine and works well. However, after about 10-15 mins it freezes the sonar and stops scrolling, this only happens in sonar mode. I can swap over to charts and it works, but charts and sonar the sonar is still frozen. After some time, maybe 10 minutes or could be 30mins it magically just starts working again.

Any ideas or thoughts on how to fix this issue?
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali 3.0L
    Leveling Kit
    ARE Z Series Topper
    2050 Ranger Reata

2. Member
    My HDS 10 does the same thing. Hope you get a good answer. I got a new Live 7 to mount on a Ram so I'll use the 10 for GPS charts.

Not saying this is your problem, but have seen intermittent power be an issue and it only affected the sonar.
    I would run a temporary power cord directly to the battery to isolate power as being the issue.
    May be worth a try.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    What software are you running? I have 2 units one would run the latest software the other would do exactly what you are describing. I put both units back to version 7 and have had no more issues.

5. Member
    Go back to 7.
    This is the latest one that works on my 2 Gen 3s.
    HDS_Gen3-7.0-59.1.86-Standard-1.upd

6. Member
    Insufficent power, lack of hard reset, bad transducer, incompatible units/ modules - all of those can cause the issue you are seeing. More on this: https://teamcolibri.blogspot.com/202...e-182.html?m=1

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Awesome thanks man, gonna install this tonight, other projects took precedence over this one till now.
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali 3.0L
    Leveling Kit
    ARE Z Series Topper
    2050 Ranger Reata

9. Member
    I had to go back to 7 on my gen 3 HDS also. I want to try the newest software version but I am hesitant as the unit works now.

After working through my setup and one of a friend, here is my opinion:
    I think the processor in the Gen3 is marginal. Lowrance increased the processor speed from Gen2 to Gen3 but kept the single processor whereas they went to a dual core processor in the Carbon and beyond models.
    They added a significant number of features from Gen2 to Gen3 and the additional processor load can cause stuttering. 7.0 drops a couple of the features and provides an environment that works most of the time but even then if you have a heavy network load, like a huge map card, it may stutter.
    That being said, the first thing you should do when diagnosing is add the voltage overlay to each unit. If you do not maintain proper voltage throughout the day, you will have inconsistent issues that will be very confusing. Many of the problems are voltage related so fix that first.

I need advice from the experts on my current setup:
    HDS 12 Gen3 Bow with HDI transducer; HDS 9 Gen3 Console with sonar skimmer transducer; jack plate mounted 3D Transducer and module. NMEA 2000 and Point1 and Ethernet network. Currently running 7.0 on both units and current update on 3D module.
    My question:
    Will I get better performance from 3D by updating the units to 18.2 ? I doubt if the units will run 18.2 but would be willing to try if there is a significant difference.

11. Mike Lamb
    This is old issue. and Lowrance has been made aware that the latest release is junk for the Gen3. roll back to the old release. No issues after that.
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC