fat boys affect draft

Looking at buying a 189c with 115 merc but I fish with a couple of real heavy buddies. I have heard that with a heavy load the bow height catches a lot of wind. I also heard Vexus put the gas tank under the seats which should improve draft and the boat sitting level. How is the boat affected with an extra 300 pounds sitting in the back of the boat with a smile.

2. Member
    A 300 pound guy would have an affect on the bow rise while fishing. Not sure how much. A 200 pounder on the back of my 1980 and I notice a difference but it's not huge. People have been known to relocate batteries to help with such things. And with that being said lithium batteries could help too.

3. Member
    Thanks sandman, good idea, I will look into that

If your 300 pound buddy is going to fish from your back deck, you might need to get a trolling motor with an extra long shaft to counteract the bow rise!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    I can't speak of the 189c specifically, but I can comment with my 1880. I fish with a heavy set fishing partner from time to time (300lb+), and my boat's fishing dynamics is not effected. What it is effected however is the time to get on plane. If we're fishing in very shallow water, I need to make sure I get to deeper water before I throttle up, or else I won't be able to get on plane.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

My co angler is around 260 or so and he brings more tackle than I have in the boat and I don't see much difference.

7. Member
    Lou 22, Are you saying the 115 has trouble or is slow to get on plane because of the weight in the back or that you are afraid the motor may hit bottom because the boar rises too much and puts the motor deeper in the water? I would think even a 75hp four stroke wouldn't have trouble getting on plane even with an extra 400 pounds in the boat.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxo View Post
    Lou 22, Are you saying the 115 has trouble or is slow to get on plane because of the weight in the back or that you are afraid the motor may hit bottom because the boar rises too much and puts the motor deeper in the water? I would think even a 75hp four stroke wouldn't have trouble getting on plane even with an extra 400 pounds in the boat.
    Its slow to get on plane, when I'm fishing with that specific fishing partner. The boat will get on plane, it just takes a few more seconds than usual.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com