fortrex trolling motor question

I was looking at upgrading form a maxxum to a fortrex. I looked at the models with sonar in the head and without. I have hds 7 gen 2 touch at the front. Is it better to get trolling motor with the sonar built and or without and just use my transducer? I didn't know which one would give more detail.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Johnson

2. Member
    I don't think on standard sonar, the transducer being separate would make a difference. Based on that, I would get one with the transducer in the unit. I would also spend the extra money and get an Ultrex. I would say that would be $1,000 or so additional and be money well spent.

3. Member
    I replaced a maxxum with a barely used fortrex and used the built in transducer and it worked just as well as the one I had strapped to the maxxum. I also strapped an lss1 structure scan on there. It fit fine without any of the skeg trimming I had to do to make it fit the maxxum.
    2017 18trx, 200 proxs serial 2B401503

4. Member
    Us/2 works fine with lowrance but you will need the mkr adapter cable.

I am looking into the same replacement for my MK Maxxum. I have lowrance elite 7 which is HDI, so if I was to get a Fortrex with built in transducer I would loose the downscan feature.
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach185 View Post
    I am looking into the same replacement for my MK Maxxum. I have lowrance elite 7 which is HDI, so if I was to get a Fortrex with built in transducer I would loose the downscan feature.
    MK uses a universal sonar, so you would need a external ducer regardless of maxxum or fortrex to have DI with lowrance.
    Fish have fins, they swim