Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    I recently tried Barrell Bourbon; found it at Costco for $69.00 I believe.
    This is impressive and not for the faint of heart.
    Cask Strength, 113.9 proof and it is on the list previously posted.

2. Member
    Anybody tried Tin Cup whiskey?

3. Member
    Weller 12 and Antique 107 have been released in other parts of Tennessee... but my understanding is that even Middle and West TN are different schedules.... so (?) it's likely that East TN could be another unique schedule??

good luck in the hunt, gentlemen!
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

I need to make another trip to Kentucky to stock up on inexpensive but really good bourbons that are not available here in Florida. Heaven Hill green label is 6 years old and 90 proof. It is charcoal filtered using the Lincoln County process like Jack Daniels. J. T. S. Brown Bottled in Bond is 100 proof and does not carry and age statement.

If I served either of these bourbons out of an unmarked decanter you would swear they were much more expensive. Either of them can be had for less than $15.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokyangler View Post
    I'll also add Michters Bourbon to this list as a good one to start with. If you can find an Eagle Rare or EH Taylor, those are good as well. Important thing is to find the type of bourbon you like, study it and then find similar ones.
    Love this thread, just getting into Bourbon myself and stocking up for the holidays. I picked up a Michters this past weekend. Haven't tried if yet, but it came recommended from a friend. Also picked up a bottle of Calumet 12. Not sure if that one will be worth the money, but it was another recommendation.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Olebiker View Post
    I need to make another trip to Kentucky to stock up on inexpensive but really good bourbons that are not available here in Florida. Heaven Hill green label is 6 years old and 90 proof. It is charcoal filtered using the Lincoln County process like Jack Daniels. J. T. S. Brown Bottled in Bond is 100 proof and does not carry and age statement.

If I served either of these bourbons out of an unmarked decanter you would swear they were much more expensive. Either of them can be had for less than $15.
    This man knows his stuff.. thanks to a few former and current BBC members, I came to learn about JTS Brown.

A new Total Wine opened up close to my house. I can buy JTS Brown for $10.50 for a 750 and damn is it good

The Weller 12 lottery was in Ohio about 6 weeks ago; basically no chance for a bottle. Weller Antique can be found and in my opinion is very close to 12. They are what basically would become Pappy with another 10 years in the barrel.
    Buffalo trace can be found and is my everyday sipper. It's as good a $22 bottle as there is.
    Another limited release out now is Makers 101, buy it if you see it.

Quote Originally Posted by bradjames12 View Post
    I can buy JTS Brown for $10.50 for a 750 and damn is it good
    JTS Brown. No ice...No glass

9. Member
    Love the Bulleit Rye, Willet, Buffalo Trace, Weller Antique, Weller 12 (favorite). Woodford Reserve, Jefferson’s, Angel Envy (finished in Caribbean Rum Cask, McKenna ( my number 2), Four Roses Single Barrel.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYRANGERMAN View Post
    If you're not much of a bourbon drinker then I would start with something lower in proof. That way you don't run the risk of frying your taste buds. Some good 80 to mid 90 proof pours are: Basil Hayden, Elijah Craig, Larceny, Maker's Mark, Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Four Roses Small Batch . . . The Larceny and Maker's Mark are wheated bourbons so they are going to be a little bit sweeter and smoother than the others which are rye bourbons. There are others that would fit into this group. Let me know if you need any other suggestions.
    so would four roses small batch be a good one i think its 90 proof (i think i can get a bottle of it )

Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    so would four roses small batch be a good one i think its 90 proof (i think i can get a bottle of it )

Yea, it is my nightly pour, but single barrel is so much smoother.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokyangler View Post
    Where are you finding Weller 12 for $70?
    Reread my post. I was referring to the Basil Hayden 10 Years Kentucky Straight Rye.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    i see about 5 different single barrel

I like Weller 107 better than 12. If you can find a full proof get it but then again full proof is going for well north of $300. Sometimes you can luck up and find it for retail. Same for 12 very rarely will you find it for retail. If you like higher proof stuff try Jack Daniels single barrel - barrel proof. It is very tasty but a little warm. It’s bottled from 125-140 proof depending on the batch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    i
    If small batch select is available where you are try it. I like the single barrel also but the SBS is great.

16. Member
    Blantons, Jefferson’s small batch, Four Roses small batch and Bookers. My favorite is Rock Hill Farms but it’s difficult to find. It’s not a Bourbon but make sure to add to your bucket list, Midleton Barry Crocket Legacy single pot still Irish Whiskey, it’s exceptional.

17. Member
    I dare anyone to blind taste test Ezra Brooks and Benchmark against topshelf.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lund1625 View Post
    JTS Brown. No ice...No glass
    I never have ice with bourbon and regardless of the price, wouldn't need a glass either dependent on the day

I usually stay with rye, but I really like the Bulleit bourbon. Smooth, and it satisfies.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WStorey View Post
    Anybody tried Tin Cup whiskey?
    Tin cup is great with some ice. And it's priced right. They just came out with a Tin Cup Rye that is really good too.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast