Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status of Mega-Live: Product Images of Prototypes?

Since some more websites have been starting to list Mega Live, I found one, that has a high resolution image of the transducer. Strangely, the main part of the transducer doesn't look like the injection molded part one would expect. It shows clear milling marks over the whole surface:
    https://humminbirdshop.nl/index.php?...id=443&lang=nl

The attached pole mount looks fine though. I see two options here: Humminbird has commissioned the worst mold maker around, or the image that is currently used shows a (likely dummy) prototype. If that's the case, and they use such early stage mockups, I'm not surprised, no screen captures have been posted so far. Therefore, I predict that the release will be delayed (blame it on Covid), availability in the beginning will be low and their might be issues related to hasty release, if they indeed release this before autumn next year.
    What do you think? Has anybody see or heard from somebody who has seen actual footage of it in action?

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    My guess is a mock-up. If you look closely at the shiny part on the top rear, it doesn't appear to be a separate part at all but just milled from the same block as the rest of it. Also, the mount itself does have a typical injection molded look rather than a milled look.

Not sure what real difference it makes though. With a March planned release date (best case), and likely an availability date in mid to late summer (best case), I'm sure they are still working out the bugs and finalizing the actual release product.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

3. Member
    The two parts could well be joined. If I interpret the shape correctly, it's a typical multibeam setup with transmitting transducer (the semi-circle) and receiving array (the slim flat part). That's actually quite nice. They could even run it at dual frequency. And - if they are honest about it being "Mega" - the resolution should also be nice. I would like to point out the similarities to this thing here:
    https://www.blueprintsubsea.com/page...php?PN=BP01042

In the best case, these videos give us an impression of image quality. It's probably not quite es high resolution and not quite as fast refresh, but in principle that's the current limit of this type of technology.
    Interestingly, it also limits the surprises that Humminbird can have up its sleeve. There won't be a real 3D function like to original Panoptix PS30, for example.

4. Member
    All speculation but interesting.
    if mega live looks anything like that oculus dimthingy I’d be ok with it!

Quote Originally Posted by fischbear View Post
    The two parts could well be joined. If I interpret the shape correctly, it's a typical multibeam setup with transmitting transducer (the semi-circle) and receiving array (the slim flat part). That's actually quite nice. They could even run it at dual frequency. And - if they are honest about it being "Mega" - the resolution should also be nice. I would like to point out the similarities to this thing here:

In the best case, these videos give us an impression of image quality. It's probably not quite es high resolution and not quite as fast refresh, but in principle that's the current limit of this type of technology.
    Interestingly, it also limits the surprises that Humminbird can have up its sleeve. There won't be a real 3D function like to original Panoptix PS30, for example.
    Specs show 512 beams.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    I think it's quite safe to say that now we know where the tech has been licensed :) But I guess Humminbird has only partially copied that tech as unfortunately I don't think they will be using that 2100kHz frequency quite yet

WOW

First I hope that price is wrong for the pre order of the mega live 2199 EURO = $2633

Next the blueprint subsea Oculus videos are real nice
    This transducer works with windows why don’t we have this already?
    Oculus Imaging software (Windows 7/8/10)
    If mega live could provide image quality like that I’d be happy
    "The handicapped angler"

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fischbear View Post

Wow, that's some impressive live imaging.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Wow, that's some impressive live imaging.
    Exactly!
    Sets the bar higher than I expected
    If HB’s mega isn’t this good they better buy this system and slap their name on it!
    "The handicapped angler"

10. Member
    WOW! Unbelievable, looks like it could be based off this.

11. Member
    There is only one that shows a range more than 10m. The one at 20m is a pontoon boat image The shape of the transducers is very similar. Probably the same tech. The school of fish is video like, but very small range. I am also anxious to see HB's version. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

12. Member
    I'm REALLY hoping it is able to compete with the current livescope and not just something with less image quality just to get a product out on the market. I hope they step up to the plate and hit a homerun.

Reading some posts and conversations from others... they bring up concerns about the quality not being there without a black box to help with processing power and such. Speculation of it being more like panoptics (if that's what the first version was called) than livescope because of the look of the transducer and lack of a black box. I sure hope it's on par with livescope. I can't wait for some images/videos and more hard information to start showing up.
    Last edited by akaslyguy; 12-01-2020 at 10:11 AM.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

It would benefit Humminbird and it’s dedicated brand users to get this product on the market with the least issues as possible. Nothing like pushing a product before it’s ready to be on the market. Nobody wins in that situation.
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

14. Member
    They already have people jumping to garmin, they know this,
    I think the bar is high, and that’s a good thing for consumers :)

15. Member
    I think it's safe to assume that the oculus transducer is pretty much what hb is releasing. The hb flyer touted more coverage. Hopefully they can do a bit better than 130 degree coverage with 20 degree width as I believe these are what livescope is running (not 100% sure). Also really hoping that hb work with the mega+ will give us better range with the mega live transducer running at 1.2mhz. I believe this will be quite a bit better than garmin's lovescope.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    There is only one that shows a range more than 10m. The one at 20m is a pontoon boat image The shape of the transducers is very similar. Probably the same tech. The school of fish is video like, but very small range. I am also anxious to see HB's version. Bob
    Yup very short range, I can get very similar images on my Livescope at those short ranges in clear water with large targets like that. The key is clarity at range beyond that 30ft wall which is where I see images degrade and it becomes harder to track a bait. Beyond 60ft is where it really starts to show its limitations.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

Quote Originally Posted by franktank009 View Post
    I think it's safe to assume that the oculus transducer is pretty much what hb is releasing. The hb flyer touted more coverage. Hopefully they can do a bit better than 130 degree coverage with 20 degree width as I believe these are what livescope is running (not 100% sure). Also really hoping that hb work with the mega+ will give us better range with the mega live transducer running at 1.2mhz. I believe this will be quite a bit better than garmin's lovescope.
    The leaked info shows 150' for MEGA LIVE.

The MEGA frequency has LESS range than lower frequencies no matter what the application is.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The leaked info shows 150' for MEGA LIVE.

The MEGA frequency has LESS range than lower frequencies no matter what the application is.
    I think most understand that higher frequencies provide shorter ranges. But hb did increase the 1.2mhz effective range from the original mega to the mega+. My comment was hoping that hb work with the mega+ would allow for longer ranges when using the 1.2mhz frequency than livescope currently has.

19. Member

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by franktank009 View Post
    The oculus transducers start at close to 20K and go up from there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast