200 pro xs 5400 rpms

200 pro xs 4 stroke
    serial # 2b742555
    819 Phoenix
    3 p2p
    23 pitch fury 3 blade prop
    I am only seeing 5400 rpms at wot and dealer says
    throttle is getting 100%. Talked to a prop guy and he said something doesn稚 sound right
    with those numbers I知 seeing should be able to get a minimum of 6000 rpms. He said I should contact
    mercury or see if another dealer can verify I知 getting 100% throttle, because he doesn稚 think I知 getting wot. In the mean time I called mercury and they said I知 over propped and should try a lower pitch prop, funny thing is I知 running the lowest pitch fury they make so she said might have to try a different brand prop, from what I have heard other people are running on this exact boat, I知 not buying what mercury said. Any body have any ideas what they would do?

Have a look at my post below “what’s holding it back”
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

3. Member
    I went through the Whats holding me back post and what I got out of that is I need to find a dealer
    that does prop demo and run a 22 and 23 tempest and a 24 bravo 1 fs?

4. Member
    assuming tach is smartcraft or vesselview

1)200 needs to spin. gotta remember its a 300 detuned. so hp doesn't keep climbing over 4500 rpm. pretty much flat so prop it for 6k+.
    2) dunno why but new motor runs way higher than old opti.
    im at about 2.5 ptp on a nitro.

so lift it .. then try a tempest to get lower pitch and lift it more
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Agree it will need to be higher than previous engines, and probably something in the range of a 21-22P Tempest Plus.

IMPORTANT: Before you make ANY changes, make certain that you are using a SMARTCRAFT display for your RPM's. DO NOT rely on figures from any Analog Gauge.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks Don, I have the mercury VesselView on my phone and it seems to be in check with my analog gauge for rpms.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benz819 View Post
    I went through the Whats holding me back post and what I got out of that is I need to find a dealer
    that does prop demo and run a 22 and 23 tempest and a 24 bravo 1 fs?
    That about sums up the results.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Interesting, mine feels “flat” from about 4800 up. But I can’t get props to test either. Would love to know how it’s detuned, which parts are different. Hope this isn’t hijacking, the op and I have similar stories

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The "detuned" comment is a bit misleading. There are differences in the air and fuel systems, as well as the electronic engine controls/calibrations.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thank you

11. Member
    the 200s ridiculous low end and mid range make propping difficult as its sorta falls on its face i chose less prop bow lift with a bravo running very high. and used more offset and more stern weight to get nose up .and get decent numbers.

fun fact i lost 1 mph when talon went in for warranty and 1 mph when tank under half. due too loss of bow lift. have a 24 bravo on 4.8inch 1.85 ratio lower unit. prob close to 2inch ptp most days. 5 batteries talon 2 livewells and a full windshield 63-64 mph just over 6krpm
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

I had a 200 pro XS 4s and ran a 22 tempest plus and was able to get it dialed in. on a 19 ranger 518l

Mike Beachy 2020 TRX 21 250 Pro XS 4S

13. Member
    The mercs are “detuned” in the lower hp ranges. From 200-300 the same 4.6l is used. The 200/225 has different throttle bodies than the 250/300. Less air and fuel = less horsepower. The 200 uses the same throttle body as a 225 but the ecu mapping is different to make more power. So the motors are detuned to a point

14. Member
    I hope you get it figured out because I am having the same problems with my new 200 pro xs and I know every case is different , but it seems to be more issues with the 200's than any of the others and I strongly think there is something going on with that motor ,and before anyone says your'e over propped I have spent a several dollars and time swapping out props . I have put 3 different props on and went down in pitch every time ,and raised the engine as much as 1.5" and with all these changes I still cannot get it to turn more than 5860 rpm and that was the same with each of the props I tried , its in the shop right now and I watched it on the dyno with the same results 5860 . Throttle is 100%, compression is good only 6 hours on the engine . I have a lot of faith in these guys working on it and the marine dealership as well and if I didn't I wouldn't be driving 2.5 mile miles one way and have been for 30 years .I believe they will figure it out and when they do I will share it .

Looking forward to hearing the outcome, please keep us posted

Don, what’s the chance of a bunch of these either being 1 tooth out in the cam timing or some poor ecm maps? It almost feels like you get a top end motor or you don’t. From race bike engines I’ve seen in the past will run great 1 tooth out but just fall flat up top.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    Don, what’s the chance of a bunch of these either being 1 tooth out in the cam timing or some poor ecm maps? It almost feels like you get a top end motor or you don’t. From race bike engines I’ve seen in the past will run great 1 tooth out but just fall flat up top.
    Not completely impossible, but quite unlikely based on the numerous possible problems it would trigger/cause.

Thread cleaned to remove 2-stroke engine setups that do not pertain to the Original Poster's situation.

Folks: Please remember that there should be ONE (1) engine per post. While many of you are attempting to assist with information from your own rig/experience, the addition of multiple engines, boats, setups, and stories simply confuses the process.

Thank you for your understanding.

18. Member
    Any answer