2019 250 ProXS - Motor shutting down (not shutting off) at full throttle

My 2019 ProXS 250 has around 100 hours on it. Back on Nov 11th, my son was down at Rayburn practicing for college tourney on Nov 13. My motor started shutting down while running full throttle, the boat would come to a rest, and the motor still running, put the motor in neutral, then tried to put back in gear and give it throttle, and it would not accelerate. Put it back in neutral, shut it off. Restarted the motor, put in gear, and everything works fine. It did this 2 other times each about an hour or two apart. Loaded the boat up and took to Jasper Marine in Jasper TX. They ran it on their computer and it came up as a shift actuator failure. They got it fixed and back on the water Thursday afternoon. No other issues all afternoon. Friday morning, start of tourney, my son is on his way to their first spot and it does it again. Did not do it again until they were coming in for weigh in. Has been in the garage ever since getting back from Texas on Nov 15th. My son was back on the Mississippi River last Wednesday Nov 25 and still no issues. I took it out Saturday Nov 28 and no issues until I was heading back to the ramp and it did it again.

Are there any other 250 ProXS V8's that have experienced this?

Any ideas? Heading to talk to my dealer this afternoon.

Thanks,

Tim

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Tim- please see if you can get a copy of the PRINTOUTS for the: Run History and Freeze Frame (Fault) History. Information in these reports will be very helpful (and is often mistaken for something other than what it actually READS).

Also, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Engine serial number is 2B594646.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Tim... almost makes me wonder if perhaps you won't see faults for the Shift DEMAND sensor. That is, however just a guess... the information in the G3 CDS Printouts is what must be used.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I'm meeting with my dealer Merc tech tomorrow morning to scan and see if there are faults from my most recent run on Saturday. I told him this morning that you had requested a print out of running and freeze frame fault history. Any ideas as to why it is doing this randomly?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Because it is an "intermittent fault". Think of, for instance, a wire rubbing against a bolt (it may not necessarily be in contact with the bolt under all conditions, but may short against the bolt under other conditions).

7. Member
    Boat is still at the dealer- no word yet. I did request the printouts to review as well.

8. Member
    Appears to have been a lose positive cable on the cranking battery that was causing the issue.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That is possible.

10. Member
    Sweet glad it was something simple.