Mounting live scope box

Setting up live scope with a 1222 dedicated for live scope. Keeping my Lowrance units as primary graphs for down,side, and 2D sonar. On a Ranger 521L, where are you putting the little box? My thought is to place it in the bow of the boat under the flush mounting plate. I have the boat logix conversion kit for a double stack on the way so I have to take it off and change the mount anyway so I'll be in there for rigging.
    Joey Aderhold

2. Member
    I am in the middle of this process as well. Might depend on the boat. I have a Ranger and many place it at the nose of the bow but I will place it in the port side compartment. Allows we access to the box for troubleshooting. Having it under the bow plate makes it tougher to get to if on the water. Will thread the wire through a rod tube that connects to the bow area.

3. Member
    I placed mine under the plate on the bow (Bass Boat Technologies mount) , Have a Ranger 520c and getting those big plugs back to my rod lockers was going to be to much for me.

4. Member
    Mounted mine in the center bow storage compartment of my 2009 z520. Mounted the box on the floor at the front of the center storage compartment. Ran the wires through one of the rod tubes. I had issues with my first box and had to see the led lights to know what was going on as well as to disconnect the transducer cable and re- connect numerous times while trouble shooting on the water. I could not have done this if it had been mounted in the bow behind the panel and additionally, that is the roughest ride on the boat for electronics and you have little or no ventilation for heat build up.
    " If you are going to be stupid, you have got to be tough!"

5. Member
    In my 2018 520C I mounted mine in the starboard rod locker box on the inner vertical wall so that I can easily access the cables and, as mentioned above, see the led lights. It also allowed me to shorten the length of my direct power run to the battery. I don’t have rod tubes in the rod locker so it allowed easy access to the bow. I only store rain gear, life jackets, and my throwable in that box anyway so it made the most sense for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pal Pup 7 View Post
    In my 2018 520C I mounted mine in the starboard rod locker box on the inner vertical wall so that I can easily access the cables and, as mentioned above, see the led lights. It also allowed me to shorten the length of my direct power run to the battery. I don’t have rod tubes in the rod locker so it allowed easy access to the bow. I only store rain gear, life jackets, and my throwable in that box anyway so it made the most sense for me.
    How did you get the transducer plug and wires into your starboard storage locker? Did you need to drill a hole to get to the area under the bow plate?

I have a 2016 Z522D and am planning on putting my black box in the same location as you. Thanks!

The GLS10 black box will generate some heat so its best to put it in an area where it can dissipate the heat. It also has a light that you will need to see. In the event there is an issue the light will blink a code that will point you in the direction to troubleshoot the issue. So with that being said a lot of people are mounting them in the rod or storage locker in an area where they can be seen and has air space.

I really wanted to mount mine under the drives console. This would have optimal air flow and I could still see the light if needed. My transducer and the power wire on my custom wire harness was long enough but my network cable came up about 1 ft too short. I opted like a lot of people and mounted mine on the wall in the starboard rod locker that faces my drivers console. Another thing I will suggest is do not drill into the floor and do not drill into a wall that faces the outside of the boat.

Here is the criteria I would use looking for a mounting spot...a wall facing the interior that is a storage compartment or rod locker, one with the most air flow and you can see the light.

EDIT...just now realized this is an old post and more than likely the OP has already mounted his unit. So to the last guy asking a question I suggest asking in the Ranger forum because there is more than likely someone over there who may have experience running wire on a boat just like yours.