Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USA Tow Rope For Towing A Boat With My Boat

OK... We seem to have a fair amount of people near my home lake (Talquin) that can't afford boat motors that run reliably and it surely will fall upon me to render a tow with my Basstracker Classic XL 16'8" bass boat with a 50hp Merc every once in awhile. Our lake is 14 miles long and has many feeder creeks and a couple of rivers so a tow can be fairly long.

I have absolutely NO interest in ever pulling skiers or tubers so don't care about that but all I can find for tow rope rigs are harnesses for tubers and skiers and they seem kind of flimsy.

So... Does anyone here have any input as to what I need to buy to tow a disabled boat? I'm aware that a large boat is best left to the professionals but I can't imagine leaving people stranded in boats less than 22 feet in length unless they're really heavy boats.

I'm not looking at building a do it yourself setup with ropes and hooks. I really would rather buy something premade.

Another question. Do I need something with a self centering pulley or is that not needed when towing a boat?

You might want to read these, lots of helpful info: https://www.bassproboatingcenters.co...-on-water.html and https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/C...laskaGuide.pdf

After making sure everyone on the stranded boat is ok, I try to assess three things. Are the people on board relatively sober; acting in an open and above board manner, and have the skills necessary to handle their craft in a tow? Then, is my boat capable of the job? If both of these answers are yes, then I ask myself if I'm putting me or my boat in a potentially dangerous situation. If the answers is yes or even maybe, I offer to call someone for them or contact the wildlife folks or other appropriate law enforcement agency and report their situation.

Hope this helps.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

3. Member
    OK Thanks... Good stuff and I was aware of most of it already.

What I'm specifically looking for is some kind of ready made harness to attach to the tie down u-bolts on the back of my boat. Then I would attach a quality and strong line such as an anchor line to that. That line would then be attached to the bow of the boat I'm towing.

4. Member
    My last tow was going to be a good distance for a family of three and my boat is close in size to yours. They decided the nearest boat ramp would be fine for the boat and then I dropped the wife off where there truck and trailer was and she picked them up. That works out much better than a long tow.

Quote Originally Posted by LDHunter View Post
    OK Thanks... Good stuff and I was aware of most of it already.

What I'm specifically looking for is some kind of ready made harness to attach to the tie down u-bolts on the back of my boat. Then I would attach a quality and strong line such as an anchor line to that. That line would then be attached to the bow of the boat I'm towing.
    Based on the size of your boat, you might get away with a higher rated ski tow bridle : https://www.amazon.com/Seachoice-867.../dp/B07G62GYT2. I wouldn't tow anything heavy with this.

Otherwise, I'd go to West Marine and have them make you one with high tensile nylon.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

6. Member
    Don't over think it. The normal ski harness will do. Ever pulled your entire boat over to a snag with your fishing line? You are not working on a mud-stuck pickup truck. You are just pulling a boat along the water. Most any rope will do. I have a simple ski rope and I have 2 aluminum carabiners in the box. If you don't have a harness, the hardest part is tying a knot you can get undone later, thus the carabiners.

Use enough rope to keep the other rig a safe distance away, but not so much that a jet ski is tempted to cut between you. Take your time and it will be fine.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Don't over think it. The normal ski harness will do. Ever pulled your entire boat over to a snag with your fishing line? You are not working on a mud-stuck pickup truck. You are just pulling a boat along the water. Most any rope will do. I have a simple ski rope and I have 2 aluminum carabiners in the box. If you don't have a harness, the hardest part is tying a knot you can get undone later, thus the carabiners.

Use enough rope to keep the other rig a safe distance away, but not so much that a jet ski is tempted to cut between you. Take your time and it will be fine.
    ^^^^ This, with my luck they'd be down at the dam and their truck would be up at the iron curtain.

I carry an Emergency Tow Strap made by Rod Saver. If it's a free floating tow and fairly calm water a single hook on transom is fine.

9. Member
    I have towed plenty of boats in, I have really heavy duty tube rope i use, its about 3/4" thick. Along with a tube splitter for both rear transom hooks. It has served me well over the years when I had a 18' I/O. Now I'm in my 17' bass boat, not sure how much towing I will be doing, worst case I driver over to a couple nearer boats and see if one of them is willing to give a tow to someone else.

But I'm a big believer in helping stranded boaters with anything I can. Karma is real...

10. Member
    I hve a similar sized boat and use a regular 3/8 rope 25 ft long with a snap on one end to slide my boat off the trailer when on my own at remote lakes. I use this same rope to tow others when needed. I recently towed a 21 ft Stratos with my 75 Merc and had no issues. Just clipped it to one of the transom eyes and from there to their bow eye.

11. #FRB
    You can make a rope a few feet longer than your transom is wide from hook to hook and tie a loop in the middle to hook/tie the tow rope to. Simple easy to make CHEAP solution and it works. 2 hooks and a loop in the middle. No need to waste money on a ski harness.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

12. Member
    you don't need to tow all the way to their truck,Tow to the closest ramp,give one person a ride to their ramp/truck.A LONG tow is hell on an outboard motor,and unnecessary.

I keep an anchor in the boat and have used the line from that to tow with many times. 3/8 poly line.

One thing to consider, almost any rope will work as a tow rope but I prefer a floating rope in this situation as it has a less chance of getting wrapped in props, etc when they become slack. Normally.. polypropylene, polyethylene float and nylon, polyester sink and then there is combos or mixes that you need to check the specific gravity. Just something to consider......

Quote Originally Posted by fastfiat View Post
    I keep an anchor in the boat and have used the line from that to tow with many times. 3/8 poly line.
    Same here. Towed a 36’ Baja a few years ago that ran out of gas. Just took it easy and didn’t try to get on plane...
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

16. Member
    I keep 4 dock lines on my boat. I have towed others and have been towed. Works fine. Don't over think it. Go slow take your time.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

Have towed several boats over the years with a 3/8in nylon rope tied to one of the back cleats with no problems. It's not like you're going to get them on plane.

I have a new 50’ tow rope still wrapped in plastic from the manufacture. Doesn’t take up much room. I had a 50’ rope I used to tow a boat in years ago, I just put that in the shed to use around the house. Bought a new one, a few bucks and much easier to stow.

19. Member
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

20. Member
    I just take a dock line across the transom and a rope in the center of that. Works and requires no extra stuff to haul around just in case.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

2021 Tracker 195 TXW 150 Merc 4S, Minn Kota Edge TM, Humminbird Fish Finders

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast