Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Little unscientific test

Went out fishing today beautiful sunny 65 degree day in the San Joaquin valley. I thought I’d mess around with TVG. I’m using a ounce and three quarter spoon which is three inches long and one inch wide. Noise rejection and ghost rejection I left off for the duration. First part of clip TVG is off and you can see the spoon clearly. Then I turn it to low and you can see the spoon just barely. Then comes medium and the spoon is almost invisible other than an occasional flicker. On high you couldn’t see it at all. You could see an occasional fish but not the spoon. It was kind of eye opening for me. Baits are hard to see anyway but with the TVG in any position other than OFF it’s almost impossible. Hope this helps a little .

2. Member
    The way TVG, time variable gain is usually explained is that the same gain is not applied at different distances and that the more distant get more gain. From what I've seen the way Garmin implements that is not by apply additional gain at longer distance, but by reducing gain at closer distances. So it is variable, and more distant targets have more gain than closer ones. It seems to fit your example that the closer the target the less gain is used. I try to leave it off but sometimes the messy screen gets to me and I put it on Low. Never more than Low.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    The way TVG, time variable gain is usually explained is that the same gain is not applied at different distances and that the more distant get more gain. From what I've seen the way Garmin implements that is not by apply additional gain at longer distance, but by reducing gain at closer distances. So it is variable, and more distant targets have more gain than closer ones. It seems to fit your example that the closer the target the less gain is used. I try to leave it off but sometimes the messy screen gets to me and I put it on Low. Never more than Low.

That makes sense because you could see the fish swimming around at the deeper depths. Guess I should have dropped the spoon farther down in the column and checked. Next time.
    Last edited by BASStard6344; 11-30-2020 at 05:49 AM.

4. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    so this is how I read it too, but then let me add since the near by stuff is at a lower sensitivity, you can get away with much higher gain like 90%. Making the farther stuff easier to see while not exploding the close stuff.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    If I had mine on 90 you would not see nothing but snow59-65 is all I run most of the time

Even with tvg high? The snowy artifacts just disappear each click of tvg you go up.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    so this is how I read it too, but then let me add since the near by stuff is at a lower sensitivity, you can get away with much higher gain like 90%. Making the farther stuff easier to see while not exploding the close stuff.
    This is interesting to me. I have not tried this but I will. Has anyone tried this and how did it work? Thanks

9. Member
    I do it all the time. Right now I look for walleye 80-100 ft deep. LiveScope doesn't do very well at 90ft. When I'm targetting walleye I really don't care what's above 60 ft. So it really don't matter if TVG reduces the gain there. If you're going to try and see fish at 90 ft you need all the gain you can stand.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

10. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I don’t even have 90 feet of line on my crappie pole

11. Member
    I need to mess with my settings some more, as I think I have a blind spot no one has mentioned before. Basically right under the boat in 15-20 feet of water. Have wonder if it's from the head of the TM.

12. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The blind spot would be easy to test just stick the transducer on a broom stick or pole and drop over and see if it still there

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    The blind spot would be easy to test just stick the transducer on a broom stick or pole and drop over and see if it still there
    My laziness knows no bounds.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Are you recording this from your phone and if so what phone? AC and my iPhone just don’t play well all the time when recording and I’m getting tired of missing out on some good clips. Thanks

15. Member
    I see you have my artifact.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar

17. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    I need to mess with my settings some more, as I think I have a blind spot no one has mentioned before. Basically right under the boat in 15-20 feet of water. Have wonder if it's from the head of the TM.
    I have mentioned it. Mine is regularly from 5 to 15 feet out in many cases. I have seen it where I can't see brush straight under the boat.

19. Member
    TOC those are all good clips regardless of what problems livescope is having and you can’t argue with your results. Thanks for posting

20. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If i was able to record, would have had some good video of some of the stuff i saw.....ended up with 23 today.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast