Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help understanding wiring diagram

Can someone take a look at the attached pic and tell me what it means when the circle is filled in as opposed to empty? Specifically I’m looking at the wiring for the trim switches. Long story short, I took wires off before taking a pic or documenting where they went and now I’m blowing fuses so I’ve obviously got something wired wrong that’s causing a problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The filled circles are wire junctions.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    That’s what I would assume, but there are no 3-way connectors. I have a couple of short jumpers but I can’t connect things like the diagram shows

Do any of your spade connectors look like this? This is a typical method for connecting jumpers on a switch panel.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    That’s what I would assume, but there are no 3-way connectors. I have a couple of short jumpers but I can’t connect things like the diagram shows
    Not necessarily physical junctions. Wires going two places. They just show that on the drawing when wires cross that they are the same circuit.

For example, the wire going out of the trim switches heading right going to the terminal board then on. It connects three places, all indicated by the filled circle, then on toward the bottom of the page. That’s probably the 12V.

Do fuses blow right away, or when you push the trim button?
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    They blow when I push the trim button. I’m attaching a pic to show how I had it hooked up. I have since taken the jumper wires off. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    They blow when I push the trim button. I’m attaching a pic to show how I had it hooked up. I have since taken the jumper wires off. Thanks for the help.
    There should be three wires connected to the terminal strip. The 12V in, then the 12V feed to each of the switches. I don’t see how a fuse can blow pushing those switches since they have no source of power. Maybe a problem at other trim switches.
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    My bad, John. I forgot that I did unhook the power wire (red w/black stripe that goes to the trim control at the console) prior to taking this picture. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I had it hooked to on the terminal strip (does it matter?).

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    My bad, John. I forgot that I did unhook the power wire (red w/black stripe that goes to the trim control at the console) prior to taking this picture. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I had it hooked to on the terminal strip (does it matter?).
    Does not matter
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    What about the other two jumpers coming from the trim switches...does it matter which connectors those are hooked to on the terminal strip?

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    What about the other two jumpers coming from the trim switches...does it matter which connectors those are hooked to on the terminal strip?
    Shouldn’t matter as long as it’s the same strip as the power is on.
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    OP,in the photo,you have a red + and a black- on the same buss bar,that for sure will blow a fuse. Should be one buss bar for + and one for -.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    OP,in the photo,you have a red + and a black- on the same buss bar,that for sure will blow a fuse. Should be one buss bar for + and one for -.
    PLUS, we would need to see the schematic for the switch to know what wire goes where on it and the relays. You should have a power wire on there and I'm not sure that red with the black stripe goes on the same buss as the black wire does.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

14. Member
    Red on black= dead short your red lead is connected to your ground buss

15. Member
    So are all 8 connections on the one bar positive and all 6 on the other bar negative? There is a sticker pointing to the bar with the 6 connections that says “Electronics only 5 amp max”. The fuse for the bow trim is a 10 amp fuse. So I didn’t think any of the trim connections would go on that bar.

16. Member
    Looking at the picture - assuming the switches are labeled - UP - DOWN and they themselves are wired correctly all you need is ONE hot wire to the 8 pin bar. That would feed each switch, one at a time as they are pressed. On all my Mercury motors the blue is down and the green is up.

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsturggie View Post
    Red on black= dead short your red lead is connected to your ground buss
    A ground bus is only ground if there is something feeding it. If power was connected to ground the fuse would blow instantly, not when a button was pressed.
    nothing else matters.​

18. Member
    Now this has snowballed into a bigger headache. I went out tonight and was going to try figuring out how this should be wired. For whatever reason I decided to try the trim at the drivers console and when I did it worked for a split second then died and wouldn’t work. I went to the motor directly and tried the trim there and nothing. The relays were not even clicking. I went back to the console and tried turning the key in the ignition, which usually lights up the console and gives me a couple beeps. Nothing. I thought maybe the battery was possibly bad so I plugged in the charger and left it for a few hours. Came back out and the charger light was green so I unhooked the charger and tried the trim at the motor. Nothing. Went to the console, nothing there still. Decided to try the interior light under the console and that worked. Tried the depth finder at the bow and it turned on ok. So now I know the battery is good, but I’ve got no power to the ignition or trim at the console or motor. Any ideas on this new problem?

19. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Now this has snowballed into a bigger headache. I went out tonight and was going to try figuring out how this should be wired. For whatever reason I decided to try the trim at the drivers console and when I did it worked for a split second then died and wouldn’t work. I went to the motor directly and tried the trim there and nothing. The relays were not even clicking. I went back to the console and tried turning the key in the ignition, which usually lights up the console and gives me a couple beeps. Nothing. I thought maybe the battery was possibly bad so I plugged in the charger and left it for a few hours. Came back out and the charger light was green so I unhooked the charger and tried the trim at the motor. Nothing. Went to the console, nothing there still. Decided to try the interior light under the console and that worked. Tried the depth finder at the bow and it turned on ok. So now I know the battery is good, but I’ve got no power to the ignition or trim at the console or motor. Any ideas on this new problem?
    Look for a fuse under the motor cowl.
    nothing else matters.​

20. Member
    I will do that. I took the cowl off and did some disconnecting and reconnecting of some of the bullet connectors but that didn’t work. I know of one inline fuse and maybe there are more. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast