Faster way to drain fuel tank '02 Cobra

I am sure that this has been posted before, but I could not find it. With C-19 and everything else going on in my life this year, I ended up the year with about a 1/2 tank of fuel after a filled it up in mid August, so I would like to drain it down to almost empty for the winter. The fuel in it is ethanol poison free, and, though I think it would be fine to sit over winter since it has the Don Weed cocktail treatment for my Merc, I would like to drain it.
    The only method I figured would be using the line bulb and let gravity feed it into a 5 gal can, but this is proving to be a real PITA, so I pray that someone in the Cobra family has figured a faster way.

Thank you all the replies in advance.

why not top it off with fresh gas and stabil and be ready to go in the spring? That's what I do and my boat sits outside all winter, snow and all, and it's fine in the spring.

Tom

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    why not top it off with fresh gas and stabil and be ready to go in the spring? That's what I do and my boat sits outside all winter, snow and all, and it's fine in the spring.

Tom
    Tom,
    That is my next option, but I always prefer to start the yr fresh. I have about 20 gls left in it, so it would be a 50/50 mix of old and fresh.

I think that's fine. I often don't fill my tank prior to winterizing.....I have about 2/3s of a tank now and come the first trip of 2021, I'll top it off on my way to the lake. I've never had any issue doing like that.

Tom

I think the pump is 20-30 dollars

See below. tried to edit this as it was a double post.
    Last edited by Tx 201; 12-09-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Go to any auto supply and purchase a cheap electric fuel pump and hook it up to your fuel line. Won't take long to pump out the gas, used to do this every spring if I had not fished much in the winter.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx 201 View Post
    Go to any auto supply and purchase a cheap electric fuel pump and hook it up to your fuel line. Won't take long to pump out the gas, used to do this every spring if I had not fished much in the winter.
    TX201

I know the pump you are talking about, which we use in some of our large excavators, as a kick up to the main pump from the tank. However, I have never used with gasoline, since it has a much higher ignition point than diesel making me very nervous about sparking up.

Have you ever used it?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    TX201

I know the pump you are talking about, which we use in some of our large excavators, as a kick up to the main pump from the tank. However, I have never used with gasoline, since it has a much higher ignition point than diesel making me very nervous about sparking up.

Have you ever used it?
    Thank you
    yes, several times when I was concerned that the gas was old and I didn’t want to run it through the motor. Usually in the spring after boat hadn’t been used for months. I would connect about 8-10’ of gas line just after the bulb, then the pump and a couple feet of line to put in gas containers. I figured if I moved the pump away from the battery compartment I had less chance of any sparks being a problem. Since it is a fuel pump I never worried about the pump itself causing a problem igniting the gas.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx 201 View Post
    yes, several times when I was concerned that the gas was old and I didn’t want to run it through the motor. Usually in the spring after boat hadn’t been used for months. I would connect about 8-10’ of gas line just after the bulb, then the pump and a couple feet of line to put in gas containers. I figured if I moved the pump away from the battery compartment I had less chance of any sparks being a problem. Since it is a fuel pump I never worried about the pump itself causing a problem igniting the gas.
    Thank you so very much for the information, and good point on being used for fuel. I always thought that it was diesel only due to the lower ignition point. I have seeing it where the tank was pressurized with air at the fill nozzle end to push fuel out of diesel tanks.
    I have the pump, so I am going to give it a go when the weather permits.

Have a blessed and prosperous New Year.